Foxx Tone Machine VS Bee Baa?

• Members

Well I guess the main difference is that the Bee Baa will only give you a very slight octave up tone with the sustain backed off all the way. The Foxx and the french toast both have screaming, wailing octaves that'll take yr skin off. The Bee Baa also is more doom ridden and heavy as a standalone fuzz. But yeah - the octave is a SIGNIFICANT point of difference....

• Members

If you want to replace your french toast, look for an Electric Smile. Gainster used to have some nice clips from it if you're curious, no clue how to find them or if he's still got them available though.

I'm actually curious to hear if anyone has made extensive use out of the RI Tone Machine's. Haven't heard much about them since they were released.

There's also a lot more options for that effect out there, depending on how much you want to spend.

• Members

as far as ive heard, beebaas seem to be pretty harsh/trebly

never gotten my hands on one...im just going off of beebaa and barge concept samples.

tone machines are interesting from what i've heard, i would like to have the "octive" switch footswitchable...so i might have to build one and try it out.

ALSO

tone benders are pretty sought after and i dig the retro sounds those make

havent played those either ;) I'm a muff man, but i dont like how my black russian works with my vintage orange OD120 so im on a tonequest for a new fuzz

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Boron-

Good to know. The octave sound is pretty important to me, and I love how present the FT's octave is. Based on your assessment, I think the Bee Baa is out of the running...

Wilbo-

The Electric Smile looks pretty interesting, but for the lack of a tone knob. Big negative.

Fast Frets-

I'm looking at a BB Jr from Barge Electronics, as an original Bee Baa is way out of my price range.

Omor-

The footswitchable octave boost is pretty crucial, in my opinion, so I'm leaning heavily towards the Retroman WTM. I've always hated Muffs, and especially the Russian version, so I can't blame you for looking for a new fuzz. Never heard a Tonebender, any suggestions on where to find clips? Does it do octave effects?

• Members

No,the tone bender is just a really cool early jimi page tone.Thing You shook me off of the first led zep record.I may be out of line but I think that was a tonebender,right?:confused: Anyway,dude,you have to get the prescription electronics experience pedal.Its supposedly very similar to the tone machine but with seperate swiches for the octave and fuzz.Besides that the best feature of this pedal is the swell mode wich makes the notes bloom into sustaning octave outstandingness.You can also use it to make your amp sound like its blowing up.The swell mode has a cool gate kind of effect with it so after some crazy feedback and noise,its instantly quiet.Its because its getting ready to swell into the note.Its hard to explain I guess but its a very special pedal and my favorite.:love:

• Members

Everything that has been said so far is right on the money.

The BB can definitely get harsh, but if you want that retina-piercing octave up sound, it might not be what you're looking for.

Why are you looking to replace the FT? I think it's a damn good fuzz, especially for the $. If footswitchable octave is an issue, it might be worth getting it rehoused. Experimentalists Anonymous does some very cool Dano mods/rehousings, and with very fair prices.

My entirely biased recommendation - go with both. A BB/FrenchToast combo can get very VERY nasty. Use the BB for harsh and heavy, the FT for octave up, and both when you need to kill every mutha{censored}a in the room.

We've got a 7 day return policy, so if the BB isn't right for you, we'll make sure you get your money back. If you've got any other questions, feel free to drop us an email.

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

I agree that the FT is pretty damn good for the money. Not a big fan of the fuzz on its own, but the octave effect can definately get you that sound for an insanely low price.

Although I'm guessing you've decided that its good, but just not quite what you want, and you're ready to spend some money for one that is more versatile.

Those BB-1 clones look great, they have tempted me many a time.

Has NOBODY tried one of the new Foxx reissues???

• Members

Originally posted by camerashake

Everything that has been said so far is right on the money.

The BB can definitely get harsh, but if you want that retina-piercing octave up sound, it might not be what you're looking for.

Why are you looking to replace the FT? I think it's a damn good fuzz, especially for the $. If footswitchable octave is an issue, it might be worth getting it rehoused. Experimentalists Anonymous does some very cool Dano mods/rehousings, and with very fair prices.

My entirely biased recommendation - go with both. A BB/FrenchToast combo can get very VERY nasty. Use the BB for harsh and heavy, the FT for octave up, and both when you need to kill every mutha{censored}a in the room.

We've got a 7 day return policy, so if the BB isn't right for you, we'll make sure you get your money back. If you've got any other questions, feel free to drop us an email.

Thanks!
:wave:

Now that's service! If I do decide to pickup a BB Jr, I will get in touch. You offer them at a very reasonable price.

I like the Toast a lot, and the only real problem I have with it is that the jacks as so close together on the back that I it forches me to mount it sideways on my pedalboard, and I'm afraid of crushing the knobs when I stomp on it. Status LEDs and an octave footswitch would be nice for those pesky live situations. I may go with a rehouse, and I agree, Colin is a great guy. I've dealt with him quite a few times.

Originally posted by Wilbo26

I agree that the FT is pretty damn good for the money. Not a big fan of the fuzz on its own, but the octave effect can definately get you that sound for an insanely low price.

Although I'm guessing you've decided that its good, but just not quite what you want, and you're ready to spend some money for one that is more versatile.

Those BB-1 clones look great, they have tempted me many a time.

Has NOBODY tried one of the new Foxx reissues???

I like the standard fuzz mode a lot. I drive it with my Blackstone Dual Overdrive on the red channel, and it's thick and crusty for days.

I thought about the Foxx RI, but no octave footswitch, LEDs, and the front-mounted knobs worry me. I've heard that the Dano has better bypass, too... Cool colors, though. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

I like the standard fuzz mode a lot. I drive it with my Blackstone Dual Overdrive on the red channel, and it's thick and crusty for days.

I thought about the Foxx RI, but no octave footswitch, LEDs, and the front-mounted knobs worry me. I've heard that the Dano has better bypass, too... Cool colors, though.
:idea:

Yes, nice and fuzzy!!! Have you looked at the Nick Nitro pedal from SIB? Its got footswitchable octave, and I think its a Tone Machine clone of sorts.

Sounds like a rehouse might be in order though, and I think I need to fire up my FT and play with it some more from the sound of the fuzz tones you're getting from it with an OD.

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

Now that's service! If I do decide to pickup a BB Jr, I will get in touch. You offer them at a very reasonable price.

I like the Toast a lot, and the only real problem I have with it is that the jacks as so close together on the back that I it forches me to mount it sideways on my pedalboard, and I'm afraid of crushing the knobs when I stomp on it. Status LEDs and an octave footswitch would be nice for those pesky live situations. I may go with a rehouse, and I agree, Colin is a great guy. I've dealt with him quite a few times.

I thought about the Foxx RI, but no octave footswitch, LEDs, and the front-mounted knobs worry me. I've heard that the Dano has better bypass, too... Cool colors, though.
:idea:

I've gotten to the point where I've taken the knobs off all of my mini Danos, and keep a screwdriver handy if I feel like changing a setting. One of these days I'll get around to rehousing my FT and PBJ.

And Colin is indeed the man. I'm wearing my EA tshirt as we 'speak'

• Members

Originally posted by camerashake

I've gotten to the point where I've taken the knobs off all of my mini Danos, and keep a screwdriver handy if I feel like changing a setting. One of these days I'll get around to rehousing my FT and PBJ.

And Colin is indeed the man. I'm wearing my EA tshirt as we 'speak'

Yeah I think a rehoused FT would sell for 150-200 bucks if you didn't know what it actually was. Mine collects dust these days so I think I need to get off my ass and play with some rehousing ideas. One in a cool antique enclosure would be sweet.

Archived