DOD250 vs amps and guitars

• Members

Hi folks, guess it's my first post here.

I have a DOD250 and as you know its that small yellow pedal used by Malmsteen.

I know that 250 is very picky about amps. Usually it hates solid-state ones (maybe the roland cubes are the exception), and it also hates a few tube amps. But I also found out that 250 is picky with guitars. Seems like many Gibson guitars don't go well with it.........especialy LPs. My guitar is a Carvin DC200, and she happpens to get along pretty well with 250.

So I am wondering if you have had similar experience?

Michael

• Members

I love the DOD250 but I've definitely found that it works better with darker sounding guitars like the Les Paul than something like a strat. This seems to be because it can be quite a shrill sounding overdrive and so things can get too harsh when paired with a bright guitar.

It doesn't do much for me into an overdriven amp where I feel other pedals give a better response, but I really like it set on a mild crunch into a clean channel. I find it to be really transparent and so if I set the level at unity with the amp alone, it just gives a really nice clipping without changing your basic tone.

• Members

True, in theory the 250 works beter with dark sounding guitars such as LP because it's a bright and lean sounding overdrive. But with my experience, Many LPs sound muddy with it, while strats can sound pretty clean and natural, although quite bright. The Cravin Dc is a bright guitar also. Maybe the guitars I tried through 250 had crappy p-ups.

• Members

I think the reason Yngwie gets away with using the 250 is because he uses his neck pickup a lot of the time and turns his amps up really loud. I saw Yngwie recently (on the Attack! tour) and his tone was HUGE. His Marshalls sounded like they were turned up pretty loudly. Actually, he has one of the fattest tones I've heard.

By the way (off topic) George Lynch opened for Yngwie and I can tell you that in comparison Yngwie made George look like a beginner in technical proficiency, and showmanship.

• Members

I don't think there can be any doubt Yngwie is an awesome guitarist. Yes he's a bit older and fatter now and he hasn't developed as much as some other guitarists, but he has his style and niche, and he's the best at it IMO. I've not met many people who criticise his playing who can actually do better.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

i remember hearing somewhere that yngwie puts the pedal in the fx loop.

If he does that then he must have modified amps. He plays the old non-master volume 50 watt Marshalls from the early '70s. When I recently saw him he only used delay to my knowledge, he didn't use effects much at all.

• Members

OK, we all know that DOD 250 doesn't work well with most of the solid state amps, but............there are exceptions and here are my experiences.
Yesterday I went to a store with my DOD250 and my carvin dc200. I tried them with the Fender Pro Jr and as expected the sounds was awesome. Fat and saturated. And the volume on the amp was merely 3!
Then I tried the Roland Cube 15. This time the 250 didn't sound that fat and saturated, but slightly more transparent and leaner. But 250 sounded just as natural and smooth. Of course I was playing though the clean channel. Then I used it as a booster with the Cube's 4 dirty lead modes and it's fantastic.

Weeks ago, I found in another store a rare single-channel solid state amp. The lay out was:

gain-drive-master-treble-bass
lineout-headphone

The clean sound couldn't hold a candle compare to the Cube, but it sounded just as good with the 250. Plus, with this kind of design, you can achieve the sound in between clean and overdrive, something like U2's "I Will Follow" .

But I guess I am gonna go with the Cube. With a no-name amp it might be a risk.

What's your experience with your dOD250 with solid states?

Archived