When is a vintage pedal no longer vintage?

hoerni

• Members

So I got this old DOD grey 280 Compressor in a deal with a bunch of old effects that didn't work. The plan was to fix it up and put them up on ebay. Then I found a working 280 locally which I got for a reasonable price.

Tonight I finally got the broken 280 back together and fully operational, so it's time to sell.

But here's the question, how much does it hurt the resale that I've replaced the op-amp? To fix the pedal it needed a new footswitch and a new op-amp (old one let the smoke out). Now the footswitch isn't a big deal, but do people care about the original op-amp? From what I've heard, the op-amp often goes on these pedals, so I'd imagine many of them have been repaired already.

The real reason I ask is cause I could move the board from the working pedal into the case from the formely-non-working one. The working pedal case is cracked in a number of places and is falling apart (it will probably fall apart if I take the guts out). The formerly-non-working one has a very nice case (hardly any scratches).

So what do you think, is it worth more fully vintage (with the intact board), or am over thinking the whole situation?

TIA

• Members

vintage amps are still "vintage" with new tubes in them

...or with a new transformer put in them (but it should be noted)

Id say if the opamp meets the same specs as the previous one...or even comes close, no mention of maintenence has to be mentioned...no use screwing yourself for being honest...and its probable its in better working order now than it was right out of the factory door

• Members

Originally posted by Last Nerve

Its not the ORIGINAL Op Amp, but its the SAME Op Amp, right?

If so, I don't think it would be a big deal.

Actually, not quite. In fact I'm not sure which should be the original. The one I had with a blown op amp was a LM-358, but the working one has a TL-072. The boards are different too (biege and green).

The only pin compatible opamp I had was a TL-082, so that's what i used. I could probably find out what the original is supposed to be.

• Members

Originally posted by omor

vintage amps are still "vintage" with new tubes in them

...or with a new transformer put in them (but it should be noted)

Id say if the opamp meets the same specs as the previous one...or even comes close, no mention of maintenence has to be mentioned...no use screwing yourself for being honest...and its probable its in better working order now than it was right out of the factory door

Thats kinda what I was thinking (not mentioning it). But I need to mention the foot switch and I feel it would be better to mention the chip. Plus it's pretty obvious since I used a socket (can't stand to solder chips to the board.

I could mention that the socket was installed to allow for switching of opamps and not mention that it was for switching out a broken op-amp. Make it sound like a feature.

I do think it's as good as new now, but I wonder what the "market" thinks. For instance I think a TS-9 with a new chip would be worth significantly less than an original.

Archived