Need some advice

• Members

I want to get a new effects setup. before all i used were useless multi effect stuff. and also used vsts on my studio computer which suck.

basically im going to record through amp and mic from now on so i want a good effects setup.

im not looking to spend tons, i just want a selection of pedals (distortion, flanger, chorus, delay....etc.) together and i an combine them to make the effct i want play it through the amp, then into the computer.

what i want to know, is which pedals are the best for each of these effects.

and also how would i go about combining them, to get a mix throughout the diff effects pedals. is there a board where i can polace them all, and plug them all up together? or do i have to connect one to another to another in a line. (which would be really impractical)

let me know if you have no idea what im talking about ;)

hope you can help.

• Members

yeah i will be using it for home effect mostly,

but i want it also for future performances.

and im cant really follow your sig as i dont really know much about product names.

but can you recommend me a good make?

a good company that dooes good quality effects pedals. (for the ones i listed above.......maybe after a while ill get more different effects pedals, but the basic effects for now will suffice)

and also could you tell me howyou hook them all up together and combine them? and how that works.

• Members

Originally posted by idrisguitar

cheers.

if people could keep listing their recomendations for the dit, flanger, delay, chorus etc.

and could someone let me know how i should combine all pedals together? i know its simple. i just want to know what i need to get.

You can't go wrong with Boss on all acounts, but if you are just looking to play around at home and don't want to spend a lot of money, but want a lot of options, definitely check out Behringer.

devi-

• Members

I want to get a new effects setup. before all i used were useless multi effect stuff. and also used vsts on my studio computer which suck.

basically im going to record through amp and mic from now on so i want a good effects setup.

im not looking to spend tons, i just want a selection of pedals (distortion, flanger, chorus, delay....etc.) together and i an combine them to make the effct i want play it through the amp, then into the computer.

and also how would i go about combining them, to get a mix throughout the diff effects pedals. is there a board where i can polace them all, and plug them all up together? or do i have to connect one to another to another in a line. (which would be really impractical)

let me know if you have no idea what im talking about
;)

hope you can help.

Most guitarists set their pedals up in series either before the amp or both before and after preamp depending on the effects and choice of the musician.

You are enquiring whether its possible to do parallel processing of effects, and yes, it is.

I dont know of any commercial product that offers parallel processing to 3 or more effects. There are DIY options such as the parallellyzer (sp?) at

www.generalguitargadgets.com

The blender at

www.runoffgroove.com

I think you will find that series patching of your effects will be easiest as all you need is patch cables. However it isnt as flexible and wont give you the same range of sounds as is possible with a parallel set up.

As for pedals I recommend you do a google for different manufacturers of effects pedals and listen to sound samples.

Ibanez
EHX
Boss
Line 6
MXR
Dunlop
etc etc

These are mass market industry standard effects pedals. If you want to go high end the boutique market may satisfy your needs.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that lists far too many pedal companies. Go through them and buy whatever takes your fancy. Look at reviews to decide whether it is good from owners of the actual product. Although take most reviews with a pinch of salt. If you discover you would like a discontinued and hard to find effect, try ebay. Or if your so inclined sometimes builders on this forum will build special orders of others discontinued products on request.

Its a very subjective thing and its "your tone". Only you can decide what to buy and what will match your set up. Be prepared to spend alot of money if you are picky at all.

• Members

that seems alright that setup if there isn;t really a way to combine many many pedals properly, do you think it would be better going with the boss gt-8/

that way i can combins the effect i want and save them (and have around 5 different effect assigned to the five pedals.

thats more practical i gues,s

but however sound quality and effects quality would i lose using that compared to single pedals set up in the diy parallel thing

as you said its about my tone. i want to create around five or six tones that i like and thoe willl be the ones i mostly use in the recording (as the rest will all be fingerpicked acoustic.)

thats why maybe getting single pedal would give me better choice of tone.

• Members

I haven't heard the GT-8 in a live setting, I only recommended it on a features basis. The patching option would be especially handy. I am relatively sure that the effect models in the GT-8 are based off the stompboxes.
How far out do you want to go with your sound? I am an lover of very strange things so my setup is unusual and large.

Guitar->Synth->Synth->Ring Mod/Octave Fuzz->Filter->Fuzz->Filter->Phaser->Distortion-->Amp->EQ->Flanger->Volume->Chorus(Out in Stereo)=>Flanger=>Tremolo=>Digital Delay=>Reverb=>Panner=>Digital Delay->Amp(One Line)->Looper/Sampler(Other Line)->Amp

So really here are all the effect posibilities:
Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive
Flanger
Chorus
Delay
Filter/Wah
Phaser
Reverb
Tremolo/Vibrato
EQ
Ring Mod/Octave Fuzz
Octave/Harmonizer
Looper/Sampler

Probably this is all too much info, but I am short on coffee this afternoon and feel chatty.
As far as stringing them its pure taste, there are no "bad" combinations, just bleeding eardrums.

• Members

idrisguitar what multi-effect unit are you using now? You still my find some use for it. Many multi's do time based effects pretty well, they just tend to fall short in the overdrive/distortion/fuzz department.

Why not start out buying a couple of good dirt boxes, (my fave is Robert Keeley's modified Ibanez TS-9). Then build you pedalboard slowly instead of running out and buying a bunch of new stuff at once. I've found when I buy too many effects in too short a time that it becomes difficult and confusing to know what's going on with your sound.

• Members

that seems alright that setup if there isn;t really a way to combine many many pedals properly, do you think it would be better going with the boss gt-8/

that way i can combins the effect i want and save them (and have around 5 different effect assigned to the five pedals.

thats more practical i gues,s

but however sound quality and effects quality would i lose using that compared to single pedals set up in the diy parallel thing

as you said its about my tone. i want to create around five or six tones that i like and thoe willl be the ones i mostly use in the recording (as the rest will all be fingerpicked acoustic.)

thats why maybe getting single pedal would give me better choice of tone.

A single multi effect pedal is far more limiting and by in large gives you poorer tone in comparison to experimenting and finding the best single pedals for your needs.

A multi FX pedal generally only lets you order effects in a particular way, only has so many presets etc. Single pedals is the route I would go and indeed have. A multi FX is fine if you aren't too picky and are just looking for stereotypical guitar sounds. Its a trade off between convenience and tweakability.

• Members

let me know if you have no idea what im talking about
;)

hope you can help.

i was like you... then i came to HCFX
about

• Members

IMO you don't need all that fancy stuff. Either you go all out and buy top of the line boutique effects or you swallow your pride and get a POD or something. If you don't want to spend a lot of money get an cheap multi effects unit for your processing and get a couple of good OD/boost/Fuzz pedals to cover your pre-amp needs. A nice compressor won't go astray either ;)

• Members

cheers guys for all the advice, i will bear it all in mind

i have a cheap multi effect zoom one now. which sucks balls

i am leaning towards the delay, dist, flanger setup......as i believe i can get what i want from them.

im not obbsessed with weird cool sounds. and i cant see myself being too picky.

i just want a nice soft distortion sound. a nice delay, a nice mix of both. then some heavier distortion sounds mix with flanger etc. nothing special.

just something that i like poersonally. that i cant get with my multi effect proccessor or on guitar rig (VST on my computer).

i do instrumental music so distortion would be used for climaxes of songs. but most of the ones i have used just ruin the mood and are too heavy/crunchy/plain/70s.

if i get a distortion pedal i can change how much i want, and can even add delay and others to make it fit in more.

i tried this with my multi effects pedal and i felt like throwing out the window.

• Members

Originally posted by hempathy

A multi FX pedal generally only lets you order effects in a particular way

The Boss GT series all let you change the order of the blocks between presets. Not many stompbox setups will let you do that with just one stomp, and change which are on and off at the same time. Nor will they let you assign an expression pedal to any parameter(s) you want for each patch...

And if you take the time to set them up properly the sound quality is excellent. Certainly far better than you'd get spending the same money on stompboxes to cover even half the effects available in a GT-8.

That said, if you don't need a lot of variety and aren't of the mindset to properly set up the thing then a bunch of stompboxes is probably going to be the more successful approach.

• Members

Go Peter Cornish at the way. :D

Seriously. Here's a good setup:

Automagic Wah --> Klon (boost) --> Analogman KOT (overdrive) --> Vintage Fuzzface --> Black Cat Vibe (univibe) --> Vintage AD/A Flanger --> Mutron Biphase --> Re Witch Empress Deluxe (Chorus) --> Fulltone Tube Tape Echo (delay)

You should be good with that. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by jay3265E

Go Peter Cornish at the way.
:D

Automagic Wah --> Klon (boost) --> Analogman KOT (overdrive) --> Vintage Fuzzface --> Black Cat Vibe (univibe) --> Vintage AD/A Flanger --> Mutron Biphase --> Re Witch Empress Deluxe (Chorus) --> Fulltone Tube Tape Echo (delay)

You should be good with that.
:thu:

I don't think he wants to spend that much. :eek:

That is a nice setup though.

• Members
Originally posted by DJLantz444

I don't think he wants to spend that much.
:eek:

That is a nice setup though.

Yeah but it does answer this part of his post. :D

• Members
Originally posted by jay3265E

Go Peter Cornish at the way.
:D

You should be good with that.
:thu:

Teese Picture Wah > Klon > Lovepedal Eternity (Overdrive) > Analogman Sunface > Effectrode Tube Vibe > Vintage AD/A Flanger > Toneczar Halophaze > Red Witch Empress Deluxe > Fulltone Tube Tape Echo.

You were close though. :wave: The Mutron sucks tone really badly if I remember. Sounds amazing though.

• Members
Originally posted by DJLantz444

Teese Picture Wah > Klon > Lovepedal Eternity (Overdrive) > Analogman Sunface > Effectrode Tube Vibe > Vintage AD/A Flanger > Toneczar Halophaze > Red Witch Empress Deluxe > Fulltone Tube Tape Echo.

You were close though.
:wave:
The Mutron sucks tone really badly if I remember. Sounds amazing though.

NICE ONE! I'd like to have that setup. :D

I was going for cost and rarity more so than anythign else with the Mutron Biphase.

Archived