How to control an Akai s1000!

mbillings

• Members

So, I have begun my foray into ditching software and buying hardware, and my second sampler was an Akai s1000HD (has a 40mb hard drive) that I found on Craigslist for $150. Anyway, I was originally planning on purchasing an M-Audio Trigger Finger to control it, but then realized that the sampler doesn't have a loop feature on it, and the Trigger Finger most certainly won't help that. So now I am looking at a sequencer. I have an Electribe ES-1 as well, and obviously it has a built in sequencer which initiates the sample more or less whenever you want it to! Would buying a vintage midi sequencer like the Alesis MMT-8 allow me to say program a couple of synth and guitar parts to repeat every bar so that they more or less loop?

Summary: Will a Alesis MMT-8 midi sequencer allow me to basically use my Akai s1000HD like the sequencer on an Electribe allows samples to loop?

I am awful at explaining things.

• Members

Originally posted by mbillings

Summary: Will a Alesis MMT-8 midi sequencer allow me to basically use my Akai s1000HD like the sequencer on an Electribe allows samples to loop?

yes you can sequence your S1000HD from the MMT-8. you could also sequence them from an Electribe.

no the MMT-8 will not loop your samples. it will, however, allow you to retrigger them in time. which may be what you're using the word "loop" to describe.

looping is something the S1000 excels at actually. but it is more useful in constructing sustained sounds to be played from a keyboard in a pitched fashion.

• Members

the mmt-8 can do part looping.. and combined with a trigger finger would be much better suited than an electribe because you will be able to get finer note resolution... unless your making minimal techno or something...

i wonder if the cost of all this together would exceed just buying an mpc tho...

• Members

well the akai s1000 was 150 + trigger finger (ebay for 130ish) + alesis mmt-8 (ebay for 60ish) = 340 so still considerably less than the mpc.

i appreciate the quick responses.

how would i go about utilizing the trigger finger with the alesis mmt-8?

also, i only currently own the sampler, so if there are any better alternatives to the mmt-8 i am open to suggestions.

• Members

340 so still considerably less than the mpc.

not to mention that the S1000 is a classic sampler UI that the MPC-500 has nothing on.

how would i go about utilizing the trigger finger with the alesis mmt-8?

probably start by plugging the MIDI output of the trig-frigger into the MIDI input of the mmt-8, then the MIDI output of the mmt-8 into the MIDI input of the S1000. then you'll have to start reading your manuals.

Archived