Looking for some good effects...but not sure what kind! Help!

apostrophe

• Members

I know I want something but I don't know what. I have always been a plain amp/guitar kinda guy. Here's some sounds I like...anyone know what would get close to these examples?

Frank Zappa: A lot of Frank's solos on Joe's Garage sound absolutely amazing! Real big, huge tone. Love it when he's playing a solo and the same solo is playing about a half-second behind it. Is that some sort of delay?

Pink Floyd: Gilmore's tone on the intro to Shine On....that bluesy, kinda echoey, drippy tone.

Whoever plays the lead guitar to that show Becker with Ted Danson. That guy's tone freakin rocked! What was it?!

There's a guy that lives above me that plays some wicked guitar! He plays through something that gives him this full, dreamy, Zappa-ish tone. Kinda sounds like 3 guitars at once, with heavy reverb. I keep meaning to ask him what it is....any ideas?

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

you need:

Muff type fuzz

analog delay (or digital with a good echo mode)

wah

2 stage phaser (tonefactor nebula, dod 201 phasor, mxr phase 45)

Wow thanks! I do have a Vox V847 that I love!

What is a 2 stage phaser? I mean, what does it do?

Also, what the difference between the NYC Muff and the Russian Muff?

• Members

well its a phaser in mi experience sound closer to a Vibe it not a smooth "SWOOOoooSH" it more like "swish-wosh-swish-wosh" i duno i know gilmour used a phase 45 in it early days perfect example the "breathe"

that wah should be good

just track down an analog delay, EHX DMM is a great one that will do more than what you need, or think of getting an Ibanez de-7 or the line 6 echo park. if you want good analog and you got the dough get a boss dm-2 or dm-3

and i would go for the EHX lil big muff true bypass small size. sound somewere betwen the green russian and the NYC muff.

The skreddy Mayo and Zero get great reviews here.

• Members
Originally posted by usa83strat

well its a phaser in mi experience sound closer to a Vibe it not a smooth "SWOOOoooSH" it more like "swish-wosh-swish-wosh" i duno i know gilmour used a phase 45 in it early days perfect example the "breathe"

that wah should be good

just track down an analog delay, EHX DMM is a great one that will do more than what you need, or think of getting an Ibanez de-7 or the line 6 echo park. if you want good analog and you got the dough get a boss dm-2 or dm-3

and i would go for the EHX lil big muff true bypass small size. sound somewere betwen the green russian and the NYC muff.

The skreddy Mayo and Zero get great reviews here.

Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it!

:)

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

What are some examples of songs with Muff? I've always been interested in Muff (heh heh...)

as noted, Pumpkins, specifically Siamese Dream. its mutitracked mountains of muff

Isley Brother's 'Summer Breeze'

Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind

• Members

Originally posted by bowlingshirt

You may want to consider a multi-effects unit; probably the most bang for your buck, especially if you don't already own any pedals and are wanting to experiment with different effects.

What kind of budget do you have ???

disagree, don't waste your money on these. You'll end up knowing less about effects and such by going with these first. This happened to me and I'm getting into effects again.

If need help with pedals, come to the forums and ask before you decide to pull the trigger on buying a pedal. We'll give you good advice... usually.

• Members

Originally posted by yjsays

disagree, don't waste your money on these.

well it depends if you get a like a decent one (digitech rp-3, rp-5 ) older unit for cheap it is a good way to figure out what effects you like and then expand up on it until you dont need it anymore.

if you want to experiment with effects i would recomend the yamaha magicstomp 2 it is great sounding i belive someone has it for like $80 new now and it will e a good place to start experimenting with hoiw certai effect sound. plus the delay, reverbs and chours are so nice that you can keep it and still use it plus its a great practice tool with its head phone jack.

that said i preffer the sound of individual analog effects.

• Members

So some sort of analog delay is what you would use to have a riff you just played repeat itself and then decay into nothingness?

There's a Zappa song on Lather, Disc 3, called "Leather Goods".

The intro is just Frank alone on guitar and he'll play a riff and then it repeats 3 times in an echoey, reverby, Pink Floydy kinda' way. He really sounds far out in space....is THIS what a delay would do?

Funny thing about that song....at the end they break into Whole Lotta Love and Frank tears it apart on guitar!

:D

• Members
Originally posted by apostrophe

So some sort of analog delay is what you would use to have a riff you just played repeat itself and then decay into nothingness?

There's a Zappa song on Lather, Disc 3, called "Leather Goods".

The intro is just Frank alone on guitar and he'll play a riff and then it repeats 3 times in an echoey, reverby, Pink Floydy kinda' way. He really sounds far out in space....is THIS what a delay would do?

Funny thing about that song....at the end they break into Whole Lotta Love and Frank tears it apart on guitar!

:D

Yes - but you'd need to figure out just how much delay time you want, analog delays usually max out around 500-600mS...

Archived