Bad Monkey and it false bypass. Are there any mods?

separanets

• Members

I got a Bad Monkey pedal. When I was trying it out in the store, it was a solid state amp provided and the Mokney sounded unimpressive. Now everything is ok, though it sounds good only on high volumes of a tube amp.

However, its bypass totally damages the sound of other pedals, so when I turn the drive off in it and turn on other pedals, their voices change terrifically, compared to that when I don't insert the Bad Monkey in the row. So I have to play wither only with it alone or with its drive always on.

In that vein I wonder maybe there are some mods that fix the problem?

• Members

hi welcome to the forum.

the BM is very well liked around here. The bypass is not a True bypass as in many new EHX effx or boutique market. It is like a boss fet switching with a buffer. The buffer is on when it is bypassed. It is usually not a big deal for most people. just make sure your pedal sits at the end of your chain of before pedals that dont react different depending depending on input impedence. Fuzzes are the most finicky. I have a muff, a silicon, and a germanium fuzz that I run in that order. The BM sits at the end in front the DS-1 (this pedal literally could care less of impedence). AFter this it goes to a Boss CE-2 and a EHX wiggler.

Having an impedence change is not a bad thing also. Many players like the edge of U2 leave a buffer inline on almost all the time because it boost, clears up the signal. so there you go.

Archived