Transperant Compression Pedals

Ostracized

• Members

The new issue Maxon (black) compressor is good. I had one and it was very subtle. It was hard to tell it was on until I turned it off. This compares with the Barber, MXR Dyna Comp, and DOD FX-80 compressors I also owned.

On the other hand, if you want a compressor that's somewhat transparent but just warms up everything (softens a Tele for example) the old Ibanez CP-835II is an amazing compressor.

• Members

The Marshall ED-1 compressor is not bad. And that should be at a dealer.

I've also recently had the original version Keeley Comp, and the Barber Tone Press (just sold it). I'm actually really liking the comp side of the Visual Sound Route 66 pedal. It has a wee bit more noise than the higher prices units, but I dig the tone control that adds some highs back in, especially with my humbucking guitars.

• Members

I realize that you wanted to buy the product off the shelf, but Monte Allums' Opto Mod for the Boss CS-3 significantly improved that box. It's almost as good as my rackmount dbx compressor. The mod was simple, and the cost is only $22. Maybe finding a CS-3 on eBay someone's lost patience with and doing the mod may be a low-cost answer for you. I found the mod easy and well-documented. Give it a try.

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

i use an OS primarily for the grit it imparts. i consider it (much) less transparent then dyna/ross/dod types.

ymmv
:)

True it adds grit (nice grit :) ) but I think the Ross / Dyna are FAR from transparent in terms of compression, it's difficult on occasion to even tell if the OS is working but the other 2 are much more obvious. imo :)

• Members

I live in Toronto and you can have my Maxon CP-101 for 90$CDN. I just picked up another compressor and don't need two. Its a great comp, quite subtle and does wonders with a Tele. Im not dying to get rid of it so 90$ is as low as i'll go. You're more than welcome to swing by and try it out anytime on the weekend. Read the reviews, its definitely a steal. Email me at p_ka_cd@yahoo.com or PM me.

• Members
Originally posted by canucker1981

I live in Toronto and you can have my Maxon CP-101 for 90$CDN. I just picked up another compressor and don't need two. Its a great comp, quite subtle and does wonders with a Tele. Im not dying to get rid of it so 90$ is as low as i'll go. You're more than welcome to swing by and try it out anytime on the weekend. Read the reviews, its definitely a steal. Email me at
p_ka_cd@yahoo.com
or PM me.

You're gonna like what's coming in the mail.;)

• Members

Originally posted by Ostracized

Hehe...I actually bought a Guyatone ST-2 today. So far I am quite happy with it. Fairly transparent and subtle. Its the kind of thing I can see myself leaving on all the time.

Thanks guys.

The ST- is a good pedal but if you have a chance try the Diamond,

made in Canada btw. A great compressor!

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/compressor.html

Archived