Memory Lane Vs Echoczar

• Members

Hey all,

Im about to buy myself a new, proper echo/delay thing...Ive had enough of digital boxes...and I think the Memory Lane and Echoczar are the main contenders...

has anyone owned both and want to share which is better?

I need half a second of analog delay...I also would like but sont require; tap tempo, two or more delay presets, modulation and also the pitch swoop thing as you change delay time. Triplet delays would be a little bonus

Unfortnatly...the memory lane has the tap tempo and modulation and the echoczar has the pitch swoop and the presets.....so I cant decide...one of you guys needs to tell me what I want.

Ooo, and I dont like the echoczar's price. Soundclips both sound great.

WELL, to sum up;

make my decision for me....Echoczar, memory lane, or something else?

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Fandango

Hey all,

Im about to buy myself a new, proper echo/delay thing...Ive had enough of digital boxes...and I think the Memory Lane and Echoczar are the main contenders...

has anyone owned both and want to share which is better?

I need half a second of analog delay...I also would like but sont require; tap tempo, two or more delay presets, modulation and also the pitch swoop thing as you change delay time. Triplet delays would be a little bonus

Unfortnatly...the memory lane has the tap tempo and modulation and the echoczar has the pitch swoop and the presets.....so I cant decide...one of you guys needs to tell me what I want.

Ooo, and I dont like the echoczar's price. Soundclips both sound great.

WELL, to sum up;

make my decision for me....Echoczar, memory lane, or something else?

Cheers

Instead of the Echoczar, buy a DD-20 it has almost all the options you mentioned,a great buffer, and is indestuctable, + you save enough cash to buy a BMW to transport it with...:freak:

• Members

Your right....the Echoczar is crazy pricey...I think Ill go for the Memory Lan though...the boss one annoys me. Thanks for the advice though!

Anyone tried a memory lane with the expression pedal mod?

Does it does a pitch dive effect when you change delay time during a delay?

cheers again

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

Apparently its kinda glitchy on the delay time changes.

Would they do an expression pedal mod for delay time if it would glitch out? Also, If the glitch is pitch shift, then thats cool, cuz I like that....I better email them and ask.

Thanks guys

• Members

Dude what you want is delay heaven, it's not been invented yet, no matter how much $$$$ you pull out. Either you go with a warm analog delay with none tweakability, or a digital one with more parameters then the space-shuttle. Still the DD-20 offers the est compromise.

Regards,

Roland Boss

Taiwan

;)

• Members

for the echoczar youll have to wait too long, but it sounds damn nice! if you want a "real" delay.. get yourself a fulltone tape echo!!

i played with a echoczar and a memory lane. if you want simple analog delay get a maxon ad-900, it beats both of them! if you want analog delay with modulation get the echoczar. though the memory lane was awesome, too... i really didnt came along very well with how the delays voice was and that you could pretty easily drive it into self-oscillation.

• Members

Originally posted by Heineken

Dude what you want is delay heaven, it's not been invented yet, no matter how much $$$$ you pull out. Either you go with a warm analog delay with none tweakability, or a digital one with more parameters then the space-shuttle. Still the DD-20 offers the est compromise.

Regards,

Roland Boss

Taiwan

;)

lol

Id rather compromise on features than tone...so Im gunna stock with analog....

maybe Ill go for the maxon...its got an effects loop right?

• Members

Just get a freakin' DMM and be done with it. They're readily available, at least half the price, and the only thing thing you'll miss out on is tap tempo. I don't know of any analog delays with presets, and I really don't think 200 bucks extra just for tap tempo is worth it for the Memory Lane.

It can make all the crazy sounds, give you the nice subtle warmth with shorter delays, and the modulation kicks ass.

• Members

You may want to wait a little longer and check out the Pigtronix Echolution... supposed to be out in a couple of months.

It's basically shooting for the ultimate compromise-- analog tone, digital features. Of course, I haven't played it, I'm just telling you what they're aiming for... and initial reports from players are promising.

Of what I HAVE played:

The Memory Lane is pretty damn versatile, has tap tempo, stereo out, modulation and exp pedal control. Downside is the oscillation is harsh-sounding. I have the Delay Time expression pedal mod on mine-- so to answer your Q, yes it does do pitch bends, BUT yes, they're a bit glitchy. With practice you can make it sound pretty good, but it's no substitute for manually turning the knob on say, a Deluxe Memory Man. It's just not that smoooooth.

I also have a Maxon AD999. For simple, great-sounding stereo analog delay in a compact package with True Bypass, it rules. This is the one I keep with me at all times for jams. Great size, great sound.

Finally, the Deluxe Memory Man has my favorite tone of them all, and if you get one with a good bypass from Analogman or Howard Davis, I'd say it's the best analog delay on the market, soundwise. The modulated repeats are beautiful and you really have to push it for self-oscillation, which means you can create some truly cavernous, infinite-echo type sounds that other analog delays can't get.

• Members

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Echolution. Endo to the rescue.

For a nice blend of conjecture, information, spammage and arguing over the Echolution go here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1246426&perpage=20&highlight=echolution&pagenumber=6

Although if you're only looking for a half second of delay time, the echolution might be a bit excessive with all of its extra features.

• Members

I have thought about the DMM before, but I always thought that the memory lane sounded much better....perhaps not....I kinda get caught up in the hype.

OK, Ive got a list of must features that I think the DMM can fit;

I want, half second of analog, modulation and pitch bends.

I can always mod the DMM for expression pedal...what do you think? DMM?

You Guys have helped a bunch :)

Cheers

[The Echoczar has two presets btw]

• Members

There's been some debate over the possibility of modding the DMM for expression control-- if you're handy with mods yourself, you can probably do it.

The ML does not, IMO, sound better than the DMM. They're different, and I think the ML sounds a little more hi-fi, not as murky or cavernous as the DMM... but its filtered tone gives its oscillation a harsh, clicky sound. The DMM pwns it in that department.

Two different beasts really. I've gotten some beautiful clean sounds with the ML, it really stays present in the mix for clean rhythms-- but I don't think it's worth $200 more than the DMM unless you absolutely need tap tempo and expression control.

:wave:

• Members

I agree about the DMM being a good option.

However I would like to point out my opinion is only based on the fact that both the memory lane and the echoczar are so expensive I just can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on a pedal.

I am sure that both the memory lane and the echoczar are far superior to the DMM, but, and it is a big but, the DMM is really very good and a lot cheaper.

It may not do the pitch thingy on its own you could always get a T.I.P. 3rd hand to turn the dial on the DMM and then you have the pitch thing going on. As someone above said the memory lane doesn't do it as well as turning the DMM dial.

DMM + 3rd hand seems like it may do what you need for less money.

Hold on, what am I saying. If you can afford a kick ass delay - do it. I would if I could.

• Members

I'm betting if you mailed a DMM to Howard Davis he could rig it up so that you could control the delay time with an expression pedal.

Didn't know the EZ has presets, that makes its price a little more justified to me. Thats not something I ever use though, as I have no problem just bending down and changing settings if I need to, and I can switch back and forth between different sounds with the DMM in a heartbeat, and if I'm barefoot I can even tweak the knobs with my feet.

• Members

ha! I just emailed Howard Davis before I came on the forum asking him exactly that!

I like the idea of presets becasue im bending down so friggin' frequently! Im liking the idea of the DMM though...with an exp pedal I think itll be awesome. How about an effector 13 one ey?

Endo; Im pretty handy with mods but i dont wanna go messing with brand new bits of kit ya know? So Im gunna try and get a pro on it.

goldie-gold; I cant afford it really, but any monkey witha credit card can buy a memory lane...Ive decided to go with the cheaper option...cash in hand :D

Im gunna miss tap tempo though, but it doesnt really matter and if i get the exp pedal i can probably adjust live if it sounds way off.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Fandango

Im gunna miss tap tempo though, but it doesnt really matter and if i get the exp pedal i can probably adjust live if it sounds way off.

I would think that having an expression adustable delay would be the closest thing you could get to a tap tempo, and at least for how I use delay, that would be preferable, although I would rather have the feedback pot foot controlled.

• Members

I have the Echoczar (not the last upgrade), the MemLane, two modded A900, two DMM, two rehoused and modded EM5, modded DD5/6, tape delay, Maneco pedals (great as delays too), analog and digital rack delays. Ok, I`ve been a delay nut, that`s right.

My opinions about these are to be found in previous posts on this forum and the Gear Page.

:thu:

Archived