So, Los Angeles-area forumites...

mabus013

• Members

How is it out there? I'm moving back next month. I've grown tired of the east coast, and NYC was never my deal anyway. I haven't been hearing much about the west coast lately - how's the job market? Any rumblings about the Hollywood Machine going on strike or anything? (I'm planning on working as an extra part time out there, so if anyone does that and wants to fill me in on the goings-on, cool.) Stuff like that.

Before anyone whines about 'it sucks out here', guess what - it sucks everywhere. Life sucks. Get used to it. Frankly, if it's going to suck anyway, I say my life may as well suck in LA. Better than it sucking on Long Island, that's for sure.

• Members

I like it here. The weather's great. Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan might be cooler (aside from the {censored} weather), but who can afford to live there these days? No industry strikes that I'm aware of though there is a city engineer's union strike at the moment. Look for an apartment in Echo Park, it's a cool neighborhood where you can probably still get in for reasonable rent if you look around.

• Members

I remember hearing about Echo Park the last time I was living in LA, that it was supposed to be the 'next Silver Lake', ie the next place to get renovated and turned into a haven for those on the cheap - for probably a whole two weeks before word got out and it got swamped, but hey...

I've always liked Venice myself, but anywhere near the water is $$$.

Traffic sucks just about anywhere you go - I was pulling my hair out when I got to Melbourne two years ago, because the traffic sucked - and I thought I was getting away from it. Whatever, I try to keep my daytime consciousness to a minimum anyway.

NYC, to me at least, is cool in small doses but I really just can't stand having 10 million or so humans swarming around me like two legged cockroaches 24 hours a day. LA has just about as many people but it just doesn't smack you in the face as hard as NYC. Besides, I like cars, and NYC is probably the worst place in the country to be if you're a car-lover.

Cool. If it isn't 'better' than Long Island, at least it will be more interesting, and that's a step in the right direction.

• Members

Yeah, all the public-ness of NYC really gets to me... it's cool for a week, and then I'm just like "Give me my air conditioned bubble back!" Too much humanity... I don't want to ride to work with people breathing down my neck and standing on my feet.

Anyway, Echo Park is already getting pricey, Silver Lake is pretty much gentrified a la Williamsburg, BK, but there are deals to be had if you're diligent.

Neither is ANYWHERE near the water, though. Venice is great but fookin' expensive, and there are still some really sketchy areas. I've been looking for a nice place there for months with no luck... The good news is, the housing bubble is finally beginning to burst, so prices will drop during the coming year. I suggest getting something kind of cheap with a year lease and looking around for something really cool next year.

• Members
Originally posted by mabus013

I remember hearing about Echo Park the last time I was living in LA, that it was supposed to be the 'next Silver Lake', ie the next place to get renovated and turned into a haven for those on the cheap - for probably a whole two weeks before word got out and it got swamped, but hey...

I've always liked Venice myself, but anywhere near the water is $$$.

Traffic sucks just about anywhere you go - I was pulling my hair out when I got to Melbourne two years ago, because the traffic sucked - and I thought I was getting
away
from it. Whatever, I try to keep my daytime consciousness to a minimum anyway.

NYC, to me at least, is cool in small doses but I really just can't stand having 10 million or so humans swarming around me like two legged cockroaches 24 hours a day. LA has just about as many people but it just doesn't smack you in the face as hard as NYC. Besides, I like cars, and NYC is probably the worst place in the country to be if you're a car-lover.

Cool. If it isn't 'better' than Long Island, at least it will be more interesting, and that's a step in the right direction.

Aren't you that twat that was living in his car?
:mad:

Welcome back!
:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by ElectricImages

haha hey wait, I remember that. The like "I can totally afford to rent a place / have family in the area but I'd rather save the money and live out of my car" story?

How about "didn't have any money, car died, family wouldn't help me, and got out of the damn situation myself"? Glad to see you're still paying close attention, bub.

I'm glad that berating some random person in a bad situation was amusing for you. Typical spoonfed, useless suburban asshole response - waiting around and looking for someone to come along and try to degrade to make yourself feel better about your own pathetic life. I suppose I'm supposed to feel bad, somehow awed by your superior credit rating and 'certified used' beige automatic Camry, and a bunch of other internet retards that have nothing better to do than pat you on the back for asserting some supposed superiority over someone you've never met and know nothing about.

The funny thing is, yeah, a year ago I had to sleep on the streets, but I've since rectified my problem; you, however, have remained an asshole on the lookout for the cheap shot, and I doubt you've seen any significant evolution of whatever it is you're about in the same period of time. I love coming here and watching a bunch of fat, contented, semi-educated retards delude themselves that they're anything special because they came up with some half-witty response to a piece of text and buy expensive pieces of equipment that are never going to be heard by anyone but your (uninterested) dog. Why don't you go buy something you don't have the money for (whatever anyone may say about what I've acquired in my life - as though that were proof of anything - I've never had to use other people's money or 'credit' to get it. Can you say the same?) as a salve for the realization that you're going to live your life as a slave to ideas you barely understand, that you're acquiring credit so you can go on vacations to make up for the fact that you never had the balls to go on a real journey of discovery, and revel in the fact that the standards have been lowered to a point that even an obvious peice of {censored} like yourself can feel as though he's actually accomplishing something with his wasted existance.

I, meanwhile, have {censored} to do and non-assholes to interact with. Tah.

Archived