New amp day!

RoboPimp

• Members

Got my new amp in the mail today, a early 70s showman reverb. It's in nice shape and seems mostly original except for a master volume added to the back. (I'll probably return it to stock but it doesn't seem to affect the tone at all) Big, bold and punchy for sure. The bigger louder (much louder) brother to my Bandmaster Reverb. It has a few minor things wrong but for a 30+ year old amp it's expected to have a few little problems.

So far one thing I can say for sure this thing sounds big and loud as heck through my 2x12" goliath bandmaster cab loaded with a EV 12L and eminence legend V12. Real loud! WOW! Not quite as "chimey" and "shimmering" as my bandmaster but it's a monster volume-wise and still has that classic fender spank.

I snagged the amp for $355 shipped from HC forumite FWAxeIbanez and he was very cool and easy to deal with. The amp got to PA from CA in 5 days and in one piece.

I only wish I had got it yesterday so I could have used it for my gig last night. Ah well, there's always next weekend... I will brutalize the masses with fender tone at excessive volumes.

:D

long live fender!

IMAGE_00001.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty nice! I love the sound of the old Showmans. Fleetwood Mac used them on the Boston Tea Party recordings, and the tone was awesome! Are the Silver Face versions much different from the Black Face? Love that old Fender grind when you crank them.:love: The nicest natural overdrive I ever felt/heard was from a Tweed RI Fender a friend of a friend used to have. Still don't know what amp it was, but it made me pee my pants like no other amp I've tried since. Wish I knew what it was.:cry:

• Members

Actually it's basically a twin reverb but in head form. Definitely a good price, I've been scoping these things out for a long time. I lucked out because another forum member had was set to buy it but them backed out so I snagged it up. (thanks whoever you were) I've always wanted a fender twin but I didn't want to have a huge 100 lb combo to lug around. The showman is nice because it's only about 50 lbs but with the same power and features as a twin.

I saw the post on your amp the other day, interesting and sounds like a neat idea. How do they do the "modelling" with an "analog" design? Most amps use DSP for that feat...

are you challenging me to a musical duel?? :thu:

Didn't you learn anything from the Jrak incident?? :mad:

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

cool.

:thu:
seems like a great price.

i don't know much about showmans (showmmen?
:confused:
)

are they similar to the bassman?

have you seen my new amp?

behringer_gm110.jpg

wanna have a duel?

:idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Elliott Damage

yes!

one day all these reasonablely price silverface amps are gonna be gone, better snag them now!

Oh god please don't say stuff like this. It only gives people ideas.

Nice amp Robo! :thu: That was a pretty sweet deal IMHO.

• Members
Originally posted by RoboPimp

Actually it's basically a twin reverb but in head form. Definitely a good price, I've been scoping these things out for a long time. I lucked out because another forum member had was set to buy it but them backed out so I snagged it up. (thanks whoever you were) I've always wanted a fender twin but I didn't want to have a huge 100 lb combo to lug around. The showman is nice because it's only about 50 lbs but with the same power and features as a twin.

I saw the post on your amp the other day, interesting and sounds like a neat idea. How do they do the "modelling" with an "analog" design? Most amps use DSP for that feat...

are you challenging me to a musical duel??
:thu:

Didn't you learn anything from the Jrak incident??
:mad:

:D
that's funny. i wasn't even thinking about the famous jrak duel. must've been a Freudian slip!

$355 for a twin reverby head? not bad at all! i'm guessing there's LOADS of headroom.

the modeling on the Behringer is i think largeley due to the built-in compressor--at least that's where i think the tube-like girth comes from. as for the different models (TWEED/BRIT/CALIF), i think it's most likely a matter of EQing--boosting or cutting certain frequencies. for example, boosting bass and treeble but scooping a bit of the mids for the TWEED prob'ly. SS amps generally have flat EQing like a PA--thus the "sterile" tone.
anyhow, cool practice amp.

• Members

Those are definatley great Twin Reverb substitutes, and much easier to deal with because you can move the amp and speakers around separately.

I could be wrong, but I think to model different amps they actually have individual circuits for each model. I know I've seen little Vox-In-A-Box DIY projects that try to emulate a Vox circuit using FETS, so maybe they did something similat with these. I'm sure EQing plays a role as well of course.

• Members

no doubt, grab 'em while they're still affordable. There's not many old fenders left that are still "under the radar"

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

yes!

one day all these reasonablely price silverface amps are gonna be gone, better snag them now!

• Members

the silverface amps are similar to the blackface circuits. There's a few minor mods you can do to them to make them a bit closer to blackface. As it is the SF amps have great tone and are not as expensive as the blackface versions. I'm digging it.

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Pretty nice! I love the sound of the old Showmans. Fleetwood Mac used them on the Boston Tea Party recordings, and the tone was awesome! Are the Silver Face versions much different from the Black Face?

• Members

yeap, I cranked it to 5 and it was {censored}in' LOUD!! shaking everything in the room. A huge step up in headroom as compared to my bandmaster reverb which is only 35 watts or so and tube rectified.

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

$355 for a twin reverby head? not bad at all! i'm guessing there's LOADS of headroom.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

I could be wrong, but I think to model different amps they actually have individual circuits for each model. I know I've seen little Vox-In-A-Box DIY projects that try to emulate a Vox circuit using FETS, so maybe they did something similat with these. I'm sure EQing plays a role as well of course.

hm...so a completely different circuit for each mode? 3-amps-in-one sorta deal? could be!

• Members

Those are great circuits, but I can't get past the height of the cabinet. They look weird to me, though I did try a couple of bandmaster reverbs in the past. I would love a conversion twin like Light Years has, though.

Anyhow, those are cool circuits. You got a great price, too. I was actually thinking of swapping something for that very amp with FWAxe.

• Members

I know, I didn't even really need this amp but it was too good to pass up. I thank CSK for doing so.

this amp is one bad mamma jamma.

Originally posted by inscho

dude you have the best taste in amps! I've been gassing for one of those
:love:

Your gas is a good thing in this case. This is why I refuse to spend $300 on a stompbox when you can get a killer handwired American made tube amp classic like this for the same price. I know which one I'd rather save my money for.

• Members

It looks dead sexy on top of the ginormous 2x12" fender cab I have! Hendrix would be proud.

fwiw, I believe these head cabs are so tall because they mounted the reverb tank to the inside front as they have the thumb bolts on the bottom for screwing it down to the speaker cab and the tank would be in the way. So it's a "form follows function" type thing.

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Those are great circuits, but I can't get past the height of the cabinet. They look weird to me, though I did try a couple of bandmaster reverbs in the past. I would love a conversion twin like Light Years has, though.

Anyhow, those are cool circuits. You got a great price, too. I was actually thinking of swapping something for that very amp with FWAxe.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

no doubt, grab 'em while they're still affordable. There's not many old fenders left that are still "under the radar"

I remember when Bassmans were $150 and we treated them like they were disposable with our {censored}ty mods that made them blow up. The prices have doubled, but I should just suck it up and buy one before they get too expesive.

Thanks for the heads' up on the Showman!

c

Archived