Keeley comp owners, please help

kurt1981

• Members

Hey guys, I'm trying out an old keeley comp, and am loving it for dirty stuff, boosting my FD2, but when I use it clean, it seems to suck down my louder notes more than I'm used to. I'm wondering if one of the newer comps, with the attack control would fix this problem. I'm aware that compression kills some of your dynamics, but I was hoping to get a bit more subtle compression.

By the way, I've got the sustain knob all the way down right now.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help.

Kurt

• Members

I love my Keeley but in my experience Ross style comps are not subtle. You want a subtle compressor, try a Barber Tone Press. Still in the Ross family but it can be almost non-existant if you want it too. The Diamond is also along those lines but IMO didn't get as much squish as the Barber offers.

• Members

I've had the three and four knob Keeley. I've got the same feeling about it. Sounds good thickening up a distortion, but can be kind of too thick, and takes highs off, playing clean. The Attack knob just makes the attack faster, so it gets more squashed sounding. I'm starting to look at other comps, Pale Green in particular.

• Members

See, that's part of the problem, I have the oldest version, no attack at all. I'm trying it out, but I think I'll end up with the barber.
I love the sound of it, and I don not mean to bash Robert in the least, I've had other products and loved them, but it just isn't for me.
Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometime you read so many glowing revuews, you start to doubt your own ears.
Kurt

• Members

If you had an attack knob, it would make it squishier. It would suck the notes down more. I must not be saying this right.

The minimum attack on the Keeley is pretty fast, but it still lets some of your initial note through. More initial note helps it the sound be cleaner, clearer - more uneffected guitar gets through at the start or the compressor attack.

If you had an attack knob, you could only make the attack faster, so the initial attack would be cut off more - less uneffected note would come through, and it would sound more compressed and "sucked down."

Where the hell is that flogging a dead horse gif?

Archived