Who are your top 5 guitarists of all time?

fkalich

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fkalich

kottke and hendrix. hmmmm.

remember kottke cheated, he had a 12 string. John Fahey did it with 6.

Kidding. Kottke was/is good, I know he still comes around.

I've seen Kottke twice now. He has tendinitis and arthritis, still blew me away with his playing on both 6 and 12 string guitars, and he's got the best dry sense of humor I've ever heard.

• Members

I have been out of it for a long time, and need re-education camp. Gonna check all this stuff out.

Oh, two cents. Lou Reed gets mention in a few places, here and other thread. Good song writer, right. Always felt that Mott did Sweet Jane improved. I know, crucify me, my tounge turns to fire. Mott had a good guitarist. In that he had one wild assed vibrato.

• Members

Originally posted by TitusAndronicus

this is tough man. i'm second-guessing myself now. but i definately think duane allman is number one.

you should check out ellmore james. duane was basically a carbon copy of james in terms of slide style, licks, etc. you'll likely dig him too

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

marc ribot

jerry malekani

grant green

al mackay

john scofield

Who?! Of these I know only Scofield. My loss, no doubt, but are these obscure players?

For my favorites, see my sig. These are not necessarily the world's greatest guitarists, but they are the ones that have mattered most to me - of famous players, that is - I know some obscure ones too!

• Members

Lou Reed (Velvet Underground)

Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane)

Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd)

Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones)

Robby Krieger (The Doors)

Hard to pick only 5. I love the guitar work in lots of 60's psych bands including Chocolate Watchband, The Electric Prunes, Kinks, Beatles, 13th Floor Elevators etc. These are prob my top 5 guitarists though

Archived