Used analog delay info

erick4x4

• Members

So I am wanting to do stacked delays with my DD-20, and really want a warm vintage analog delay to go with my sterile in time digital delay to try and get really big soundscapes.

I am looking at the following used, and wanted to know some opinions.

I have seen several DOD FX96 for about $60, DOD FX90 for a little more. Also the DOD 585/585a performer for under $100.

Then there's the Ibanez ad-9 (reissue vs. original), the maxon's (out of my budget). And even the DE-7.

Lastly the MXR Analog delay. The only thing I haven't considered is the memory man.

So I am overwhelmed, who can give me insight?

I want a big warm delay to give huge spacey sounds when combined with my digital delay. I would prefer a small pedal, but the MXR size isn't too bad. I won't be using it all the time so bypass could matter, and I could be using loud signals so that could matter too. I'm willing to spend what I need within reason, but wouldn't complain about cheap.

Ideas?

• Members

i've been perfectly happy with my DOD FX90--a dark fairly dirty analog delay.

from clips i've heard the other DODs you've mentioned are all really nice too.

the DE-7 is digital; the analog mode is a simulation.

the maxon and ibanez are similar but the ibanez doesn't have the old prized bucket brigade chips, which some say give the maxon its extra something. i like the maxon but it's not worth the price to me personally.

• Members

the DOD FX96 does not have 800ms

it's more like 330ms or so and it is a true BBD delay

I have had the DOD 585, the DOD FX 90, and the DOD FX96, and they are all very good analog delays

my favorite DOD delay is the 680 analog delay

it is a bit more expensive than the others and has a big enclosure, but sounds amazing

I parted with mine to fund my Maxon AD-900 and still miss it's mojo

I would also second the Arion SAD-1, these are great and not very expensive

If it is within your budget; an old Ibenez AD-9, Ibanez AD-80, Boss DM-2, or Boss DM-3 would be excellent

BTW: I also use a DD-20 along with my Maxon AD-900

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The DOD 585B is very cool, but they are rare. They have a dual delay feature, where you can switch delay times by clicking the switching, causing the delay to ramp up/down. Running a longer, digital delay afterward (to delay the ramping) creates incredible sounds. I wish there were more manufacturers who would make pedals like this.

The 585 series is good stuff, they're just a bit more delicate in the switching.

• Members

The Ibanez DE-7 is not a true analog, but IMHO it gives the best analog simulation of any digital delay via its "echo" mode. Plus it does the self-ocsillation "spaceship" sounds that people love about analog delays. Not to mention you have a WAY WAY longer delay time range (up to 2600ms) compared to your standard analog (about 300ms).

I've been using one for years, and its definetly one of my favortie pedals

• Members

If you can find one, the MXR Time Delay is excellent and very cheap, truly the poor man's DM-3 - the caveat is that the 2 knob Commande series are housed in plastic, which means the concept of shielding goes right out out the window. The die-cast metal, 3 knob 2000 series, although not at all common, is much better and is usually sub-$50.

The vinatge green MXR Analog Delays sound great, but are very expensive and recent experience with one demonstrated consistent technical and reliability issues - could just be my unit, however.

cheers!

Archived