OT: Photography

Narcosynthesis

• Members

Hey

I am wanting to start playing about with camera's and photography, and thinking of getting my dads SLR out of the attic and giving it a shot, and seeing how it compares to the digital camera's I have, but am still pretty much a complete n00b at how to set the camera up for good results

Does anyone know of any good places to help you through the basics or the like? Its a Canon EOS650 I have, which is supposed to be great for automatic shooting and beginners, but gives you a lot more control, and it would be cool knowing a bit more about it and how to do it myself even if I did end up using it on auto most of the time

David

• Members

a manual SLR (film) will give you everything you need to learn.

I"m not an expert, but I took a few courses in high school with a film SLR and they were great.

Basically you have 3 variables:
1) aperature
2) shutter speed
3) Iso

The downside to film is once you've putin film, ISO is locked. This is how sensitive the film is to light (lower ISOs are less sensitive, but yield higher quality images).

shutter speed tells you how long light is allowed in. on average, the longest time a human hand can hold still is 1/60th of a second. longer than that, you need a tripod. If you have a shorter shutter speed, action shots will "freeze" and blur less.

aperature is how big the hole is that light can get through. with larger opening (f/2.5 for example), more light gets in but the depth of field is reduced, so only the object you are focusing on will be in focus, and the background (for example) might be blurry.

that's all i got now. i'm tired and tipsy.

Alex

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Hey

I am wanting to start playing about with camera's and photography, and thinking of getting my dads SLR out of the attic and giving it a shot, and seeing how it compares to the digital camera's I have, but am still pretty much a complete n00b at how to set the camera up for good results

Does anyone know of any good places to help you through the basics or the like? Its a Canon EOS650 I have, which is supposed to be great for automatic shooting and beginners, but gives you a lot more control, and it would be cool knowing a bit more about it and how to do it myself even if I did end up using it on auto most of the time

David

I love this site/magazine and it is UK based.

Also, go to andylim.com/photo/ for a DIY guide.....

Failing that, as the good man said above, apart from composition......Those are the 3 main basics. Keep notes on what you take when you start, otherwise you will never know HOW you got the shots you like. Sounds obvious BUT........

If you can, get yourslf a good cheap digital camera, say 5 megapixels and you will be happiest methinks. I love film BUT, I am a complete convert to the digital medium. Instant results and Photoshop is sooooo much fun. No waiting for pics to be developed etc.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Photo Net is the HC of the photoworld (well if HC was about music).

I read Ken Rockwell's technical articles and reviews.

Bruce Perry's ideas on technology and photography are spot on (here and here).

Most local community colleges run courses. Also, both lonely planet and National geographic have interesting little field guides that are worth checking out.

FWIW, I have some photos on flickr here.

• Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

Photo Net
is the HC of the photoworld (well if HC was about music).

I read
Ken Rockwell's
technical articles and reviews.

Bruce Perry's ideas on technology and photography are spot on (
here
and
here
).

Most local community colleges run courses. Also, both lonely planet and National geographic have interesting little field guides that are worth checking out.

FWIW, I have some photos on flickr
here.

:thu: :thu:

Archived