What is a good pedal for the blues?

burton4snow

• Members

Those are three very different tones there..

Anyway, a better place to start, and you're probably going to hear this a lot around here, is a better amp. A good tube combo will do wonders. That and a nice OD (any pedals that wilbo mentioned) will be good for Stevie type tones.

I'd look into some different distortion pedals as well. I have a Gilmour/current Clapton tone just about nailed with nothing more than a Boss DS-1, some reverb and a Strat into a cranked tube amp.

For B.B. King tones, I'd just find a very warm, slightly overdriven clean tone with humbuckers. Lots of mids. Last I heard B.B. used solid state amps.

• Members

I have to agree on the valve amp !

A little low wattage screeamer, like a Fender Champ (vintage) or a newer, Blues Jr. will do the trick !

Stompbox-wise, i get great results from my BD-2 (my fav. od right now), Custom RAT, and believe it or not, my lil Blues Jr. just love my (supposedly metal-driven) MXR Zakk Wylde ZW44 OD for Johnny Winter runs !

One pedal that i am very disapointed in (due to all the bloody hype), is the TS9 RI - nice OD, but not worth all the hype !

The under-dog is my MXR Micro Amp - great for some extra gritty gain - I LOVE MINE !

OT :

. . . who is in your avatar, "burton" ???

• Members

. . . so, take the Classic 20 out f the origenal combo box, and drop it in a second hand Classic 30 enclosure, or build your own from solid pine.

Then add a Jensen 12incher, and you have an even better Kick Ar$e amp !!!

Maybe i should look into a Classic 20, to run with my Blues Jr. . . .

. . . mmmm, great idea :idea::thu:

• Members
Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

Man, that combo
is sexy !!!

. . .
:love:
. . .

I love it, but unfortunetly I can't keep it stacked like that usually because I have to angle the cab towards me to hear it when we play out. For some reason no soundman we've ever had seems to want to make me loud enough in my monitor..

Archived