Triton Rack,XV-5080,Fantom XR,Motif Rack???

tangerine

• Members

I've got an XV-5080 and it's about the most fully-featured module I've seen.

I like the Kurzweil PC2R best for any acoustic sounds tho.

Had a pretty loaded triton rack, but sold it. The sounds were ok, but I like the kurzweil much better. The Motif series of racks have a lot of good sounds too.

Racks seem to be on the decline a bit because of computers. But they haven't disappeared just yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

its close, but I say the XR. Plus you can convert the XV soundset into the XR

The argument that the 5080 sounds better is a tweak argument. The sounds have been around for 6 years and are getting stale, IMO.

The XR FX are greatly improved. XR patches sound fresh and have

' movement'

There is little chance that Yamaha will make new PLG ( whatever the acronym) for the ES Rack. Plus , if Andys Music is for real, the new ES has a new massive ROM block. I think ES racks will drop in price so that is a big plus.

I wouldn't touch the Triton Rack unless you find it supercheap. I do like Triton but the soundset is old. Plus Korg will not make new EXB's

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Scharf

I replaced my XV5080 with an Fantom X6, and I regret it - I think the 5080 had a better sound..

XV-5080 waveforms are at 32 kHz sampling rate.

Fantom waveforms are at 44.1 kHz sampling rate.

So at equal volume XV would sound warmer, but better.... not sure. If Fantom has global EQ, you can always close the top end a little bit, compensate (add) 1-3 dB you lost with EQ and it MUST sound warm like XV. It is the same engine.

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

XV-5080 waveforms are at 32 kHz sampling rate.

Fantom waveforms are at 44.1 kHz sampling rate.

So at equal volume XV would sound warmer, but better.... not sure. If Fantom has global EQ, you can always close the top end a little bit, compensate (add) 1-3 dB you lost with EQ and it MUST sound warm like XV. It is the same engine.

I wasnt aware of the sample rate difference, but that certainly would explain it. I usually do exactly what you describe by using the EQ to warm it up a bit.

• Members

another vote for the Kurz PC2r. I also have a Fantom Xr but only use it for the SRX-12 rhodes and as a sampler for playing back my own samples live. Roland do do good sounds but you've gotta fork out for the expansions boards to get any of em. The ratio of useable patches to filler in the Kurz is very very good. On par with the Yammy for pianos and eps, but I'd take the Kurz for acoustic emulations and the Classic Keys expansion has some good synth stuff. If Yamaha throw some of their Sweet/Mega/whatever they call them voices from the Tyros in their next Motif rack it may take the cake. I think I've bought my last rompler though.

Archived