Drum machines

Narcosynthesis

• Members

Hello,

Looking at the possibility of buying a cheap drum machine to play around with, and wandering what you guys would recommend, and this is all what I think would be a good idea, so sorry if I am describing something virtually any box would do, or something not really available

I have tried a few sequencer type affairs from the internet and can't seem to translate the rhythm I am wanting in my head to the screen properly, so am looking at something solid to use, or a more intuitve (and free ;)) software version.

I was thinking of something where you could create a measure, and then tap in the drums in the rhythm you like, so you could loop it a couple of times and build up the different drums into a solid beat, so I guess a hardware version with buttons to tap along, or something where you can tap the beat on a keyboard

I don't currently use any software for music, and at the moment am only really looking for something to experiment with a bit, so I am not looking at buying big programmes or expensive workstations, just kinds looking at whats actually available at the moment.

David

• Members

So basically most commercial drum machines let you tap the various drums in by hand (rather than choosing blocks on a grid or something)

The Alesis looks a fair bit cheaper than the boss ones, I will have a scout about locally and see if I spy anythign for a decent price :)

Does fruity loops give you the option to tap in the drums, or would that be more like the approach of having a grid to put the different hits on

My explanation is a pretty bad one - I have tried out software like this and didn't really get anywhere with it from working purely on the screen with a mouse, rather than tapping out a rhythm

[edit] Readhing through the d-lusion site, it seems the one I downloaded a while ago should actually be able to do what I want, serves me right for not reading the manual properly I guess...

Cheers for the help, I may still end up getting a cheap hardware machine anyway (I just prefer being able to do it with real boxes and not on the computer, however silly that may sound)

David

• Members

OMG, the best drum machine and it's free ??? Any quesses ??? How about http://www.rebirthmuseum.com register, download rebirth iso to your pc, use NERO or something to burn it to a cd. Go back to the site get free mods, free songs, wow. I started messing with it yesterday, I couldn't stop, till I passed out.

Hardware wise, ASR-16 is good, Boss is good, MC-303, Drumstation, rm1x. Rebirth puts them all to shame, try it, you won't be dissapointed.:thu:

• Members

it's my understanding that FL will let you tap in beats or melodies using an external controller or even your computer keyboard, but you'd have to read the manual to find out how to do that.

yeah, i know what you mean about wanting a hardware machine. sometimes there's better than the feel of a dedicated machine to work with.

• Members

Hi, Narcosynthesis

You would probably like some cheap hardware drummachine with internal sequencer to create your own sequences and then record them into the drummachine internal memory for calling them out later.

Alesis SR-16

Korg ERmkII

Zoom MRT-3/RT-223/SB-246

Archived