Your drone / drone doom setup

Jody Butt

• Members

For all fellow drone doom guitarists out there . . . post your techniques/effects/rigs/etc

Me:

Digitech Synth Wah

(Boss NS-2 for daisy chain)

Boss Superoverdrive

or

Line 6 Ubermetal

or

Boss Metal Zone

or

Amp distortion

Boss DD-3

or

Amp onboard delay

Amp onboard reverb

The Zoom G2.1u has lots of great modulation for drone type stuff as well.

The synth wah is really my key effect. Not clear with chords (or even intervals), but excellent for single notes. The synth wah (esp setting 5) gives massive single notes of DOOM!!!

Every doom/droner should own the Digitech Synth Wah or equivalent. :-) Props to digitech for that one.

• Members

Originally posted by PeelingPaint98

So as kind of an off question what do you think of the Uber Metal and MT-2 up against each other?

It's been a while since I've had an MT-2 and I have the Uber Metal right now but thinking of picking up another MT-2

I would have to give the nodd to the Ubermetal, definitely. Extremely versatile. They both have the same number of controls:

Level

Bass

Treble

Middle

Middle Frequency

Distortion

However, the uber has the three "modes" and two noise gate modes. The onboard noise gate is awesome.

The uber has better tone in my opinion.

Here's my favourite:

Take the settings for classic metal in the ubermetal manual, but turn the mode to pulverize and set the gate to 2. Killer tone, right there. If you play those settings above bedroom volume, though, make sure to dial back the treble.

Anywho, the MT-2 is also not bad if a guy knows how to dial it in. It sounds a bit less organic (more transitorish) than the ubermetal to me. The MT-2 is very tight, though.

If you like your distortion cold and sharp, the MT-2 is good. I like the MT-2. People diss it a lot because I think they forget that they have to eq it differently as they increase the volume. Classic noob mistake.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

Gibson LP std with duncan custom in bridge-->

Danelectro Chicken Salad vibrato->

Fulltone OCD->

Isp Decimator->

Tonebone Switchbone-

Jcm 800 2203x (dd-20, dd-5 in loop)-1960a

Laney GH100L-G-flex 2x12 or friend's greenback marshall 4x12.

How's the DD-20? I've been thinking that would be an excellent tool for some drone. I have a DD-3 that I got in 1991.

• Members

Originally posted by PeelingPaint98

Sharp, there you go, a good word for the MT-2, I think that's why I always liked that for the ebow. The sharpness of it meshed well with the ebow.

Hmmmm, I dig the Uber but may have go re grab a MT-2

Cheers

I gave my MT-2 to my nephew, recently. I may have to pick up another one for myself, as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Jody Butt

How's the DD-20? I've been thinking that would be an excellent tool for some drone. I have a DD-3 that I got in 1991.

Love it. It provides a bunch of different sounds from standard digital delay to analog to reverse to modulate (gets some cool warbly sounds) to tape delay. I love its anolog long delays, provides great ambience.

• Members

Originally posted by Jody Butt

I dig the DD-20 for versatility, massive delay time if wanted, looping ability, the pan function is nice, reverse, simtape, simanalog, modulated. Stereo ins/outs(important for me)

• Members

C-1 Classic -> SCOD -> Valvetech 2x10 (Mangler -> D-Two -> Rumour in the FX loop)

I'll also throw a DL-4 in there for looping depending on what I'm playing. My stuff's typically more in the ambient/drone side of things, but the SCOD definitely takes care of the doom when needed.

Archived