A little help from builders and DIYers...pedal stays on even when input unplugged?

loosegroove

• Members

I have a Hempathy Big Cheese Clone. I just noticed that the pedal stays on even when the cable is unplugged from the input jack, which means the battery will die while I leave it in there. I just noticed this today since normally I use a power supply. What is the mechanism that disconnects the battery when the input is unplugged? I am sure it's an easy fix, but I am even more sure that I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone throw me a bone?

• Members

The input jack should have three parts to it, the tip the ring and the sleeve. What probably happens is that the battery ground goes to either the ring or sleeve, and whatever's left is the main ground. So only when you plug in a mono cable are the two grounds connected, allowing current to flow from the battery. That's the first place to look.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

The input jack should have three parts to it, the tip the ring and the sleeve. What probably happens is that the battery ground goes to either the ring or sleeve, and whatever's left is the main ground. So only when you plug in a mono cable are the two grounds connected, allowing current to flow from the battery. That's the first place to look.

Hoping that he did indeed use a stereo input socket, the other solution is to leave the dc plug in as it wont drain your battery.

Archived