Just picked up an Ampeg V4...

CicadaSilence

• Members

Nice score! Great amps...I used to rock out on a lot of Ampegs...VT40's and V2's mostly, but the V4 is a pretty cool amp. Some of the tubes in it are real oddballs too.

That mid shift is freaking nice too. I miss my Ampegs...but they are a pain in the ass to keep working all of the time. Those amps run 545 volts on the plates of the tubes.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

...and I can't play it until I head out to rehearsal tomorrow afternoon; my speaker cabinet is locked in my drummer's garage!
mur.gif

Oh well, patience is the most godly of virtues, or some such thing. I'm just glad I finally found one locally and in good condition.

DSCF0048.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by GorgeBarri

nice... but,

could we see pics of both guitars!

they do seem interesting

Heh, yeah, I'll take some pics tomorrow. My floor is embarrassing right now; dog hair all over the place.

The Fender in the foreground is a CIJ Jazzmaster that used to belong to StratAtak, and the "Danelectro" is my bastard-caster... It's got a Strat body, and a Danelectro baritone neck. I use it for weird, drony tunings.

• Members
Originally posted by Prehistoricpain

that amp is going to {censored} your ears soooo hard.

i have a a v2 and v4, but neither is working right now
:(

I love my v4. Not a fender, not a marshall.... just right. Oh yeah, and amazingly loud and clean. Im running 6550s in mine and they sound great. You should check the back to see if its a Linden NJ or a Magnovox. Looks like an early one.

• Members

Originally posted by Fiery Furnace

Hopefully you will play your basses through it as well.

I always wanted to rock one with bass.

That's one of the reasons I've been looking to get one. I play both guitar and bass, more or less equally, and I wanted something that could handle both.

Sonic_tooth, it's a Magnavox.

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

That's one of the reasons I've been looking to get one. I play both guitar and bass, more or less equally, and I wanted something that could handle both.

Sonic_tooth, it's a Magnavox.

Still looks like its an earlier one even for a Magnavox. I have heard that the Linden NJs are better, but I have never had the opportunity to open one up or compare side to side. Could just be folklore. Anyway... take some time with the EQ, there are lots of possibilities hiding in there.

• Members

Amazing vintage Ampeg fact - one you really want to keep in mind:

The screen printing on magnavox Ampegs is water soluble to such an extent that all front and back panel cleaning should be done with q-tips avoiding the lettering or with non water-based cleaners. One shot of windex and you'll be wondering which knob is which. This also has consequences in the stage sweat category.

Anyway .... Great amp. You're gonna dig it the most. Absolutely perfect for a guy who plays bass and plays guitar really loud.

Ron

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

this thread would've been better if you read the title and the first post was:

"...and boy are my arms tired!"

congrats!

:thu:

how do these compare to the VT series anyhoo?

In general the VT's were combo amps. The VT22 was a 2-12 version of the V4. The VT40 was somewhat different from the V2, the closest head counterpart, but obviously part of the family.

My VT40 is permanent. I've got too much in it and just love what it does musically.

Ron

• Members
Originally posted by Ronsonic B

In general the VT's were combo amps. The VT22 was a 2-12 version of the V4. The VT40 was somewhat different from the V2, the closest head counterpart, but obviously part of the family.

My VT40 is permanent. I've got too much in it and just love what it does musically.

Ron

oh so they are the "head version" of the VT22. cool. those are bad-ass amps. and i've always dug that logo!

• Members

The SVT is actually part of the V series...The SVT is the V9B.

The VT40 is a combo version of the V2 and the VT22 is the combo of the V4. The V3 is actually more like a B25/B25B in that it is tube rectified and features no midrange control.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

this thread would've been better if you read the title and the first post was:

"...and boy are my arms tired!"

congrats!

how do these compare to the VT series anyhoo?

Archived