older dod pedals...

flake

• Members

just about anything can be rehoused.

do you mean these?

dod_overdrive250_gray.jpg

that's should be a really straightforward rehouse.

but if you mean ones with the "soft switch" like this...

DOD_FX90Delay_l.jpg

...then i think it's a bit different. someone with more experience can pipe in but i believe what's basically done is leaving the switch intact but putting it in a bypass loop within the new housing. so it's basically always on but in its own special loop within the casing.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

just about anything can be rehoused.

do you mean these?

dod_overdrive250_gray.jpg
that's should be a really straightforward rehouse.

but if you mean ones with the "soft switch" like this...

DOD_FX90Delay_l.jpg
...then i think it's a bit different. someone with more experience can pipe in but i believe what's basically done is leaving the switch intact but putting it in a bypass loop within the new housing. so it's basically always on but in its own special loop within the casing.

wouldn't that suck the batteries? Hmmm... why is it difficult to change the switch? *i'm quite a noob at this* it'd be a fun project for me, if simple enough, after my exams.

thanks though :)

• Members

Originally posted by flake

wouldn't that suck the batteries? Hmmm... why is it difficult to change the switch? *i'm quite a noob at this* it'd be a fun project for me, if simple enough, after my exams.

thanks though
:)

i'm somewhat of a n00b at it too...but basically it's not a mechanical switch as in the 1st picture. the switch is actually a tactile button surface mounted on the pcb. i'm thinking it's possible to replace the switch but it would be a pain working with such small components.

and, yes, it would suck batteries.

maybe someone else can give more info...

• Members

Can they be rehoused?

Add a nice bright blue or white led, custom graphics, some bling bling to pimp it up a little and a nicer switch. anyone?

I true-bypassed my DOD 201. The metal pedals have enough space for a 3PDT, but there will only barely enough space left for the battery. The pedals with the plastic switch? Forget it.

• Members

actually my concern isn't so much to true bypass it. i just want a new switch, and a new case cos mine(which is in the maiL) isn't in the most enviable of conditions.

Sides, i would like to pimp it up, no?

• Members

Originally posted by g3rmanium

I true-bypassed
. The metal pedals have enough space for a 3PDT, but there will only barely enough space left for the battery. The pedals with the plastic switch? Forget it.

yup i'm referring to the other pedal. DOD FX90.

However, i want to get it rehoused so maybe i'd have more space?

• Members

thanks though
:)

Not any more than usual. All pedals suck batteries when there's a plug inserted into the input jack. That's why you're supposed to unplug them when you're done playing.

Basically, the circuit is always on. The switch tells the signal either to use that active circuit or to bypass the active circuit.

For any pedal, you can basically just wire it up to be "always on" and put a true bypass looper around it inside a different enclosure.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Not any more than usual. All pedals suck batteries when there's a plug inserted into the input jack. That's why you're supposed to unplug them when you're done playing.

Basically, the circuit is always on. The switch tells the signal either to use that active circuit or to bypass the active circuit.

For any pedal, you can basically just wire it up to be "always on" and put a true bypass looper around it inside a different enclosure.

well that's like buying another pedal to solve the problem. more cables and less space!

Just curious, so that's how true bypass loopers work eh?

So if you put your pedals into a loop, that means you have a pedal for every other pedal you own? Why would anyone want to do that?

• Members

well that's like buying another pedal to solve the problem. more cables and less space!

Just curious, so that's how true bypass loopers work eh?

So if you put your pedals into a loop, that means you have a pedal for every other pedal you own? Why would anyone want to do that?

You read it wrong........you can buy a TB looper for every pedal if you wante to, but what hes talking about it building a looper into the pedal in a new enclosure. Basically, the pedal will always be on, and when you press the switch, it will put the circuit in your signal path, and when you bypass it, it will take the circuit out. I am in the middle of doing that with a dano pedal now. That way, you dont have to mess with removing the stock switch--you are just bypassing it

Hope this makes it more clear

• Members

Exactly.

A TB looper is essentially just a 3pdt switch. You can build it into a separate enclosure with jacks and all that kind of stuff or you can build it into the same enclosure where you're housing a pedal circuit.

The separate one is pedal + looper; the combined one is a single TB pedal.

• Members

If you know what you are doing, you can disable the electronic switching and create normal switching. However, that is a lot of work for those pedals considering most of them don't sound anything spectacular to begin with (mostly due to hiss).

I suppose that if somebody knew how to rehouse those things and true bypass them though...they could make a killing...

Hmmm...

-Zach Omega

• Members

ohh now that makes sense. so erm, how difficult would it be for me to do this?

are there any good sites that detail this? i wouldn't know what to actually search on google, cos i'm still pretty unsure of what to term it etc.

I have no soldering skills (i can learn!) though...

what else would i need?

thanks!

• Members

ohh now that makes sense. so erm, how difficult would it be for me to do this?

are there any good sites that detail this? i wouldn't know what to actually search on google, cos i'm still pretty unsure of what to term it etc.

I have no soldering skills (i can learn!) though...

what else would i need?

thanks!

Yeah, if you don't know what you're doing then it's not going to be easy. Especially if you can't already solder.

Most pedals are going to be slightly different, so unless you find someone who can walk you through the process step-by-step for your individual pedal, you're better off just getting a bypass looper or hiring someone else to rehouse it for you.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, if you don't know what you're doing then it's not going to be easy. Especially if you can't already solder.

Most pedals are going to be slightly different, so unless you find someone who can walk you through the process step-by-step for your individual pedal, you're better off just getting a bypass looper or hiring someone else to rehouse it for you.

sounds like a better idea for me to get help; i've always been bad at electronics, even at elementary physics level.

I was actually more interested in the aesthetic aspects of things. lol

thanks for the help guys!

Archived