eventide orville vs h8000

droolmaster0

• Members

there are a few knowledgeable people here - especially Ian....and the search function is down.

I've been contemplating trying to grab an Orville in a month or so, and then a little later down the road, updating through Eventide to the h8000fw.

How close is the Orville sonically to the h8000? It looks like they pop up somewhat often in the $3200 range. It doesn't look like the 7000 series can be upgraded, so this would sound like the way to go if I don't have the $ in the short term for the h8000fw? Just thinking out loud really, at this point.

• Members

there are a few knowledgeable people here - especially Ian....and the search function is down.

I've been contemplating trying to grab an Orville in a month or so, and then a little later down the road, updating through Eventide to the h8000fw.

How close is the Orville sonically to the h8000? It looks like they pop up somewhat often in the $3200 range. It doesn't look like the 7000 series can be upgraded, so this would sound like the way to go if I don't have the $ in the short term for the h8000fw? Just thinking out loud really, at this point.

Internally, the DSP7000/DSP7500/Orville/H8000 are all very similar. The DSP7000/7500 are just half of an Orville; some of the internal program comments still refer to the Orville, and there are unused punch-outs on the back panel for the Orville's extra I/O. The H8000 may use slightly more modern A/D and D/A, but even the DSP7000 sounds great.

The newer units may support a few algorithm building-blocks not present on the older ones, but in general, most reasonably-sized algorithms will run on any of them; the default mode of the Orville and H8000 is to run two algorithms at once, wheras the 7000 series can only run one.

The H8000 can run bigger algorithms than the Orville. Also, Eventide keeps adding to the library of algorithms (which are one and the same as presets; there's no distinction between the two). Newer algorithms are only available on the newer units, even if they would run on the older ones as well. Technically, if they would run, you could transfer them using the Vsig tool, as long as you had the newer unit in the room.

• Members

If you know you want the H8000FW, then just save for it or do what you need to do to get it. IMHO, going Orville -> H8KFW makes no sense, as it will be just as costly, if not more so, and it will be a PITA.

You also can do way more stuff on a H8KFW vs. an Orville, despite their similarities in design and DSP.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

If you know you want the H8000FW, then just save for it or do what you need to do to get it. IMHO, going Orville -> H8KFW makes no sense, as it will be just as costly, if not more so, and it will be a PITA.

You also can do way more stuff on a H8KFW vs. an Orville, despite their similarities in design and DSP.

cheers,

Ian

Well, I've been thinking about this, and I think I can pull it off anyway...I had forgotten when I was adding the numbers up, that I can sell my Eclipse to help out. So, I'm looking forward to getting the h8000fw in February. (So, anyone who might be looking for an Eclipse....)

Archived