Anybody ever true bypassed a DOD YJM308?

ZachOmega

• Members

I know Analogman sells them true bypassed with a bunch of upgrades...But I just looked inside of the one I got today (Thanks Inscho!) and DOD definitely didn't leave you with very much space.

Will a 3pdt fit or will I need some sort of specialty DPDT?

-Zach Omega

• Members

Yeah, and it even had a battery in it! :D Now on to hopefully True Bypassing it...although if I can't make that work, it won't be the end of the world...Well hopefully not the end of my world.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by inscho

cool...glad it arrived safely
:cool:

• Members

I've got one that I have been tweaking for the past couple of days and I don't really notice any tone-sucking from not being TB. I thought it was more trebly than anything, but after changing a couple of caps, the IC and a resistor this pedal sounds really good. I also installed a switch to go from symetrical to asymetrical and that adds a little bit of a boost. Good Luck this really is a cool little pedal.

TrailerDog

• Members

Trailer Dog,

Which IC did you replace the stock 4558 with? I was thinking of making it more like a stock Overdrive 250 with a 741, but the pinout is different, and while I'm sure I could make it work, I'm not sure it is worth it.

Also, I already own an overdrive 250, so it seems kind of redundant.

I also thought about asymetrical clipping. Which diodes did you use? And how do you like it?

And did you manage to actually TB your pedal or what? As I said, I'd like to, but there seems to be very little space to actually do it. And I'm aware that in this pedal, the tone sucking will be quite low due to the input configuration...but even if I wanted to put a DPDT or 3PDT in for LED switching, I don't know if I could get the battery in afterwards.

Any ideas? Thanks for your input too.

-Zach Omega

• Members
Originally posted by ZachOmega

Trailer Dog,

Which IC did you replace the stock 4558 with? I was thinking of making it more like a stock Overdrive 250 with a 741, but the pinout is different, and while I'm sure I could make it work, I'm not sure it is worth it.

I installed a chip socket so I could swap between IC's and went with a JRC 4558D I had lying around. It is supposed to have little less highs. You might consider the 1458 so you won't have reroute wires on the PCB.

I also thought about asymetrical clipping. Which diodes did you use? And how do you like it?

I used 1N914's. I put the switch to go from Symetrical to asymetrical next to the On/Off switch so I could toggle it with my toe. Gives just a touch of boost. Can't put in a battery now but that's what PSU's are for.

And did you manage to actually TB your pedal or what? As I said, I'd like to, but there seems to be very little space to actually do it. And I'm aware that in this pedal, the tone sucking will be quite low due to the input configuration...but even if I wanted to put a DPDT or 3PDT in for LED switching, I don't know if I could get the battery in afterwards.

No I haven't wired it to TB yet. My first goal was to make the pedal smoother and less harsh. I'm happy with my results so far so I think I will wire in a new switch with an LED next.

TrailerDog

• Members

I don't use power supplies...I'm a battery kind of guy...Mainly because I don't use enough pedals at one time to justify a pedal board or power supply.

I thought about the 1458 as well. I think that was on AnalogMan's site that I saw something about that.

Thanks for your input so far.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by TrailerDog

Originally posted by ZachOmega

Trailer Dog,

I installed a chip socket so I could swap between IC's and went with a JRC 4558D I had lying around. It is supposed to have little less highs. You might consider the 1458 so you won't have reroute wires on the PCB.

I used 1N914's. I put the switch to go from Symetrical to asymetrical next to the On/Off switch so I could toggle it with my toe. Gives just a touch of boost. Can't put in a battery now but that's what PSU's are for.

No I haven't wired it to TB yet. My first goal was to make the pedal smoother and less harsh. I'm happy with my results so far so I think I will wire in a new switch with an LED next.

TrailerDog

Guest Anonymous

good thread.. im entering the mod world.ive started with trying to add TB and a led to the yjm308 im just getting started im waiting for supplies from smallbaer.wheres the best place to learn this stuff...

DSC04209.jpg

• Members

AWESOME picture...I'm a bit jealous...My workspace has been my kitchen table for as long as I can remember.

Learning this stuff is really a matter of what exactly you want to learn and what you want to do with it.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by slingshotmb

good thread.. im entering the mod world.ive started with trying to add TB and a led to the yjm308 im just getting started im waiting for supplies from smallbaer.wheres the best place to learn this stuff...

DSC04209.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by slingshotmb

im entering the mod world.ive started with trying to add TB and a led to the yjm308 im just getting started im waiting for supplies from smallbaer.wheres the best place to learn this stuff...

DIYstompboxes.com? JHS posted this 250 schematic earlier on forum.musikding.de.

dod250greyayw8.th.gif

Nice clean bench btw.

Archived