Best noise Surpessor with XXX?

MegaMustaine

• Members

I have a Peavey XXX, and due to my pickups, this epiphone humbucker I put in my strat, my amp has a lot of feedback. I was wondering what you thought the best noise surpressor would be. I was thinking a Rocktron Hush, MXR Smartgate, DBX Compressor, or ICP Decimator. What do you think?

• Members

EMG is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. No idea how their products sound and I may never know since their customer service department is filled with a bunch of incompetent assholes.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

The guitar I'm about to purchase has the EMG 81. Do you think that will help?

• Members

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

The guitar I'm about to purchase has the EMG 81. Do you think that will help?

yes.

but you can still save the current one.

some Epi pickups aren't potted or not potted well, leading to microphinic feedback.

if you want a cheap replacement check out Might Mite or GFS (guitar fetish) pickups.

• Members

emg make some of the best pickups. i used them for many years.

if you are budget minded the performer/stage, series by seymour duncan, are low price. the buckshot is very good, and only $29 bones. the great white snarks is a real decent ,single coil, alnico. also only 29.99.

avoid the EMG selects like the plague.

the EMG 81 series are incredibly solid. a rich active humbucker. i you choose a non active style go seymour duncan.

• Members

I gig with my XXX constantly. I use a Boss NS-2 and it works perfectly. I also had the ISP Decimator pedal, and I tried it briefly (like, 5 minutes). I'd say the Decimator is better because it really adds to the overall tone, which shocked me. Still, I'm used to my NS-2 so that's what I decided to keep.

However, my NS-2 was powerless against the stock pickups in my Gibson Sonex and Halo Invert. Uncontrollable feedback. Stopped using the Sonex, and replaced the pickups in the Halo (w/ Dimebucker & Bill Lawrence).

• Members

Back when I used to gig I used a Rocktron Hush for the XXX and it did the trick. However, now I'm just playing at the house and studio and I've just gone without a noise suppressor and haven't had any problem-though I don't play as loud anymore either. I don't think you can go wrong here, I've heard good things about the boss pedal mentioned above and I got good results from the hush, I say whatever you can get your hands on for the least amount of money. Also, may want to think about new pickups.

Archived