how much cable you got ?

mark7171

• Members

in my rig i have some cable....let me tell you...

what is a safe lenth ? i want to know before i get carried away. i have heard different amounts. make sure to take the effects loop in account with the direct chain.

my example is, the guitar out a 12 ft cable to 4 pedals . each pedal connected with a solid direct peice. then a 3 ft cable to the amp input. in the loop i have 2 x 6 ft lenths and a couple pedals direct connected.

is 27 ft of cable bad ?

• Members

I think when My rig was the most complex I had:

2x15' between guitar->board and board->amp
2x15' between amp send->loop board and loop board->amp return (with a parallel loop)
and maybe 6 ft of patch cable.

But I think my setup sounded best when it was like that.

• Members

with my current rig (DSL and Splawn)--I use both effects loops, have a decently large pedal board (16 pedals)

so this can be broken down into

Guitar -> pedal board (15 ft)
Board -> ABY (10 ft)
ABY -> Amps (30 ft )
Effects Loops (61 ft)

so that comes to 116 ft without including footswitches/power

• Members

My updated rig is going to help a ton with running cables. I will run my 2 heads in one of those 2 Rack space cases with an additional space for rack mount units.

I will run all of my effects but expression pedals. I will run 2 GCXs, and It should come to about 20 ft wiring those up including the FX loops, pedals and what not. Then I have 15 ft cable to wah and volume pedal, then a 15 ft to the guitar.

This is great because it is so much less set up at gigs, and especially cuts alot of cables and makes the big bunch of cables I run to the board much less.

Now i would only run a Midi to controll footswitch/gcx, a power and a guitar cable for the expressions

• Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

What are you guys with 100+ feet doing?
:confused:
I'm just curious, really. Why do you need all that cable?

I have to have a snake for large venues so I have 3 25' cables always running between my loop and my board to amp input cable. I also move around a lot on stage so I need a 25' cable so I still have enough after Ive tangled the whole thing up.

• Members

to some of you guys with 100 + ft of hose, arent you loosing signal ?

i feel pretty safe with 27 ft. of monster cable, and solid pedal connects. a reasonable 7 effects , 3 before the preamp/ 4 in the FX loop, keep the signal true.

do these help ?

d2_2.JPG

how many total megaohms are you buffered ?

• Members

25' of Sommer Spirit Lava Cable from guitar to board...

about 4 feet total in board,

then 25' of Sommer Spirit Lava from L into the Valvetech

and 15' of a random Planet Waves from R into the Fender. I'm working on getting another 25' Lava to go to the fender...

I use that length because a lot of times I am the soundguy, so I need to be able to get into the crowd from my board and hear the mix. It's all Sommer Spirit cable from Lava, so I'm not too worried about signal degredation... it still sounds better than when I used to use a 20' planet waves and a 15' cheapy.

Anybody know where I can get a cheap (

EDIT: Oh, and all of my pedals are true bypass except for the DD-20, which I have no problem with it's buffer....

• Members
Originally posted by mark7171

i feel pretty safe with 27 ft. of monster cable, and solid pedal connects. a reasonable 7 effects , 3 before the preamp/ 4 in the FX loop, keep the signal true.

do these help ?

d2_2.JPG

I would avoid those. I've heard horror stories of them breaking the input jacks (ones attached to pcb boards). They're too stiff.

• Members

....how many total megaohms are you buffered ?

you are waaaay overthinking things.

{censored} man, a hot humid August night around here {censored}s with tone 100x more than a string of boss pedals all connected w/ten-foot cables.

• Members

do these help ?

d2_2.JPG

The connection in those breaks down to a tiny little bit of cheap wire. I much prefer a good interconnect cable to those and I used them for many years.

Archived