Ambient/Loopers get in here!

inscho

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by inscho

hey DL....when you are playing with a drummer, how do you keep the loops in time?
:confused:

Usually, my style of loops are more flowing, and less actual chords/rhythm stuff. So i'll layer up a nice atmospheric, saturated loop, turn off the record, and play actual rhythmic and stuff intime with my guitar and keyboards to the drums.

• Members
Originally posted by desertlimosine

Usually, my style of loops are more flowing, and less actual chords/rhythm stuff. So i'll layer up a nice atmospheric, saturated loop, turn off the record, and play actual rhythmic and stuff intime with my guitar and keyboards to the drums.

i see! :cool:

so its you, the drummer, and who else?

• Members

Well for the show in Chicago, it was Emerson, the Cello player, who runs through a boss oc2, boss reverb, and DL4.

He's classically trained, but is also a genius in improvisation and looping.

that sounds pretty rad :cool:

how often you play shows, and where at?

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

personally i think 1 DL4 and 1 BOSS RC would be more useful--one for on-the-fly, one for triggering prerecorded loops. makes more sense to me than 2 DL4s.

YMMV and all that.

I like it. :thu:

• Members

that sounds pretty rad
:cool:

how often you play shows, and where at?

As ambient, we play maybe once every few months, but my buddy is moving back to town, so we'll try to ramp that up more. As Pulsar47 (ambient space rock), we play about once a month.

The last ambient show we played as Mordechai in the mirror, just me and the cello. We played this montly show called "Slow and Sweet" Which is in the Elbo Room in Chicago. Its a more ambient/quiet show with selected artists having their stuff on display. Pretty fun show for sure. The audience was really receptive also.

• Members

As ambient, we play maybe once every few months, but my buddy is moving back to town, so we'll try to ramp that up more. As Pulsar47 (ambient space rock), we play about once a month.

The last ambient show we played as Mordechai in the mirror, just me and the cello. We played this montly show called "Slow and Sweet" Which is in the Elbo Room in Chicago. Its a more ambient/quiet show with selected artists having their stuff on display. Pretty fun show for sure. The audience was really receptive also.

That's like down the street from my place (kinda)! If I would have known you were there, I would have gone :cry:

• Members

hey zjd...

do you like it?
:)

Originally posted by Wilbo26

The forum is being a total slut today. And ZJD likes it.

:mad:

Dude I had multiple windows open and everything else was working fine EXCEPT for HC. Every time I tried to post, it just stalled and when I would come back to check the thread to see if my post went through, it wasn

• Members

The thing about loops is that they sound like, well, loops. And that can get very sterile and boring very quickly.

Something I enjoy doing (and something you might want to try) is to chain together a series of delay pedals with fairly long delay times (say, 3 or 4 pedals), and set the repeats just shy of oscillation. Use one delay pedal to build up a nice long drone, then disengage. Use the next delay to build a different sort of drone or rhythmic pattern, then disengage. And so on. By the time you get to your last delay pedal, the first one will be ready for some new input. Obviously, you need to use delay pedals that trail after you disengage them.

You'll end up with some very nice intertwining drones and rhythms, and the cool thing about this approach is you can create loop-like ambience without ever actually looping anything, so your drones have much more movement and progression to them. Instead of repeating ad nauseam, they're always changing and going somewhere. It's a cool effect.

• Members
Originally posted by zarathustra1978

The thing about loops is that they sound like, well, loops. And that can get very sterile and boring very quickly.

Something I enjoy doing (and something you might want to try) is to chain together a series of delay pedals with fairly long delay times (say, 3 or 4 pedals), and set the repeats just shy of oscillation. Use one delay pedal to build up a nice long drone, then disengage. Use the next delay to build a different sort of drone or rhythmic pattern, then disengage. And so on. By the time you get to your last delay pedal, the first one will be ready for some new input. Obviously, you need to use delay pedals that trail after you disengage them.

You'll end up with some very nice intertwining drones and rhythms, and the cool thing about this approach is you can create loop-like ambience without ever actually looping anything, so your drones have much more movement and progression to them. Instead of repeating ad nauseam, they're always changing and going somewhere. It's a cool effect.

I do something similar to this with my DMM + E1 combo. I set the digital delay for a long loop time and a pretty high feedback so it takes a while for the loops to degrade. I have the DMM around 400-500 ms or something like that with its feedback right before it self oscillates, so it gives on shorter, very ambient repeats that then feed into the Headrush. You can build up some really cool sounding ambient wall-of-sound type things, and slowly move from one riff to another or whatever you want as the original repeats slowly fade out. Great fun. :thu:

I imagine something like that would only get easier and cooler with even more delays added into the mix, although at some point it can get to be too much.

• Members

yeah, that makes a lot of sense...thanks for your input! :cool:

• Members

actually, the easy way to make your loops NOT sound like start and stop loops is to just record the second pass of the part.

that way, when you engage the record function, you catch the tail end of signals from the last part of the loop going into the first part, so there's no "reset" drop out or click or whatever.

i do it all the time while playing live, and i only use 2 delays, one before the looper and one behind it.

does that make sense?

• Members
Originally posted by sonaboy

actually, the easy way to make your loops NOT sound like start and stop loops is to just record the second pass of the part.

that way, when you engage the record function, you catch the tail end of signals from the last part of the loop going into the first part, so there's no "reset" drop out or click or whatever.

i do it all the time while playing live, and i only use 2 delays, one before the looper and one behind it.

does that make sense?

yuppers. thats the best way to do it. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by ZJD

Board Pics Plz.

:love:

pedalboard1.jpg

the DMM isn't actually hooked up to anything, i just put it in there.

so the signal path is:
Zoom UF 01> Boss DD5> Line 6 tap trem> Akai Headrush> Line 6 DL4

stereo outputs to one Marshall 100 watt JMP with 4x12 cab
the other to a 50 watt Ampeg SuperJet 1x12 combo.

Archived