OT: People fighting all over the world for basics of life, and then there's this...

Jaymeister

• Members

I think this woman should be sent over to prepare meals for the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Guacamole lawsuit: Where's the avocado?

The Associated Press

Posted November 30 2006, 8:24 AM EST

LOS ANGELES -- Wholly guacamole?

That's the issue in a fraud lawsuit filed Wednesday against Kraft Foods, Inc., by a Los Angeles woman who claims the company's avocado dip doesn't qualify as guacamole.

"It just didn't taste avocadoey," said Brenda Lifsey, who used Kraft Dips Guacamole in a three-layer dip last year. "I looked at the ingredients and found there was almost no avocado in it."

She is seeking unspecified damages and a Superior Court order barring Kraft from calling its dip guacamole. Her suit seeks class-action status.

The Kraft product contains modified food starch, coconut and soybean oils, corn syrup and food coloring. It is less than 2 percent avocado, which in traditional recipes is the main ingredient of the Mexican dish.

The government doesn't have any requirements on how much avocado a product must contain to be labeled guacamole, said Michael Herndon, a spokesman for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Northfield, Ill.-based Kraft said it had not seen the lawsuit but believed it was not deceiving anyone.

"We think customers understand that it isn't made from avocado," Claire Regan, Kraft Foods' vice president of corporate affairs, told the Los Angeles Times. "All of the ingredients are listed on the label for consumers to reference."

However, the company will relabel the product to make it clearer that the dip is guacamole-flavored, Regan said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/chi-061130guacamole,0,5114369.story?coll=sfla-newsnation-front

• Members

Originally posted by jasonfuzz

Everything seems trivial compared to the world's problems. EVEN YOUR THREAD COMPLAINING ABOUT COMPLAINT.

Exactly. But it is one of the most trivial things I have read about in a long time. My point is that people would be less inclined to do this {censored} if they simply stopped thinking about themselves for just a moment. They wouldn't have to go to the opposite side of the world either...I bet they could get some proper perspective by looking at the troubles of their own neighbor.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

Exactly. But it is one of the most trivial things I have read about in a long time. My point is that people would be less inclined to do this {censored} if they simply stopped thinking about themselves for just a moment. They wouldn't have to go to the opposite side of the world either...I bet they could get some proper perspective by looking at the troubles of their own neighbor.

yeah, but i sometimes think that a lot of trouble in the wolrd comes from our general attitude of producing/buying stupid things like non avocado guacamole, no cheese cheese, no grape wine and, of course, amp-modellers, all this leading to the final point of creating a non human human.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

yeah, but i sometimes think that a lot of trouble in the wolrd comes from our general attitude of producing/buying stupid things like non avocado guacamole, no cheese cheese, no grape wine and, of course, amp-modellers, all this leading to the final point of creating a non human human beeing.

• Members

So I did some research on this stupid cow and realized that this is how she get's off.

I found another lawsuit she made suing Sears: "claiming that Sears deceptively advertised its proprietary line of Craftsman tools as manufactured exclusively in the United States (

• Members

This is why we need the English style lawsuits.

The looser pays the winners legal costs.

I have a lawsuit against my Condo Association right now.

They failed to maintain the sewer system (which is their responsability in my area).

The sewer backed up into my house 3 times in 18 months, and destroyed $5000 worth of property.

They hired some half assed plumer who couldn't find the problem 3 times - turns out he was looking in the wrong sewer. :freak:

They tell me, "If we don't see the problem, there isn't one."

And I tell them "Since the sewer has backed up three times into my house, if you can't find the problem, it's a bigger problem."

Finally I had to hire my own plummer twice and a lawyer, found the problem myself, file suit to get them to fit it, which they wouldn't do till I took action.

Now I'm out about $10,000, plus about 35 hours of my time.

Thier attitudes is, again, "well, sue us."

They figure I won't keep going because my legal fees will run up, while they have someone on retainer.

If they knew they had to pay leagal fees if they lost, they would be less likly to act this way.

Similarly this woman would be less likly to file trivial suits if she knew she'd be paying the winner's costs.

• Members
Originally posted by godard

So I did some research on this stupid cow and realized that this is how she get's off.

I found another lawsuit she made suing Sears: "claiming that Sears deceptively advertised its proprietary line of Craftsman tools as manufactured exclusively in the United States (

• Members

What kind of goober expects real guacamole from a can? Jeez.

We used to have a little Mexican restaurant nearby run by the Lopez family. Great people and dang good cooks. We're talkin' gourmet quality food. Well, anyway, one night we're waiting for the server to take our order and Mr. Lopez comes to our table and extends his deepest apologies for not being able to serve guacamole that night because his latest shipment of avocados was not of high enough quality. He then went to every other table, personally offering the same apology. I was impressed.

I think I'd rather eat snot from a dead dog's nose than eat "guacamole" from a can. :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

I kind of like that suit, I do buy stuff that is american made over others. I would feel like {censored} if I found out I bought something made with child slave labor when it said american made. It like labeling something kosher but it wasn't blessed and it was made with pork
:eek::mad::freak:

But that guacamole suit, thats total bull{censored}

For me made in America and all the parts were made in America are not at all the same, so I guess I find it more frivolous than you.

In any case, everyone should get one lawsuit, you want more then you have to pay for it. :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by godard

For me made in America and all the parts were made in America are not at all the same, so I guess I find it more frivolous than you.

In any case, everyone should get one lawsuit, you want more then you have to pay for it.
:mad:

ya, this could lead to clear labeling. Which I think is good. Made in america should mean something, whatever they come up with is fine but stick to that "defined" value. That way the buyer knows what they are buying. Hell I buy from goodwill, because I do know that made in America doesn't really mean {censored}, but more jobs for Americans. Whether making the parts here, or just assembly.

Well as long as those damn machine don't do it. They should start to label things handmade with a clear definer also.

That is a big part of why I buy boutique pedal

Archived