Mac and recording....help out a newb?

Elliott Damage

• Members

Hi guys, I want to start building a home studio....we're renewing our lease on our townhouse and we have a huge amount of space to record.

and I want to get a Mac, so here's my question:

What's the cheapest Mac I can get and run Logic Express.

I just want to record my band....2 guitars, bass, drums and vocals. and the occasional keyboard. Nothing too intensive.

please don't laugh at me :(

and don't send me to the Mac forum. they's is mean!! :cry:

• Members

I haven't used logic, I use Tracktion2 (great program by the way)

If you buy a new mac, you really don't have to worry about it working or not, get more memory than you think you will need, and you will be fine with computer in their lineup.

• Members

And why Logic?

I don't know about Logic, but isn't it expensive?

I think Mackie has an interface that comes with software that you could do that with, and I think ther's an MBox that would work, which comes with software.

Meaning, do you want to drive the decition by the program, when there are interfaces that come with software, and will do the same job?

All that said, I'm a Digital Performer guy, and that choice has driven my hardware choice. :)

But still, why Logic?

• Members

Originally posted by slc_dan

I haven't used logic, I use Tracktion2 (great program by the way)

If you buy a new mac, you really don't have to worry about it working or not, get more memory than you think you will need, and you will be fine with computer in their lineup.

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs.html

can someone decipher these system requirements for me? I totally suck at computers.

can I get by with a Mac mini? Here's the specs on it:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

• Members
Originally posted by gil1

And why Logic?

I don't know about Logic, but isn't it expensive?

I think Mackie has an interface that comes with software that you could do that with, and I think ther's an MBox that would work, which comes with software.

Meaning, do you want to drive the decition by the program, when there are interfaces that come with software, and will do the same job?

All that said, I'm a Digital Performer guy, and that choice has driven my hardware choice.
:)

But still, why Logic?

because I know people who use logic and I like what they do with it and they can help me out.

:):(

• Members

FYI: All software essentially does the same thing. All of the "top-of-the-line" programs have very competitive audio engines, they just have slightly different feature sets.

Also, almost every interface comes with some sort of software to use with it.

• Members
Originally posted by walk_through_wa

logic is rather mediocre in terms of audio... it's great for midi but it's just meh otherwise.

Are you in anyway affiliated with any institution of higher education. I'm in the process of buying a mac book pro and my status as a uni student gets me something like 20% off.

i am in college still.

and I'm open to other software choices. It would be really cool of you guys to educate me :D

and please know I am extremely thankful for the help so far!

• Members

I run logic pro on a 12 inch g4 powerbook. Most tunes have 4-5 tracks of live guitar and bass, and about 8-12 tracks of midi. Plugins on every track but not loads. runs with no problems.

Any of the new macs will logic express well for what you are looking to do. The main test will be how "live" you want to record. The more tracks you try to record simultaneously, the more you will have to spend on an interface and maybe you will need to go for a more high end machine.

Whatever you do, get at least 2GB of memory and buy a good, fast external HD to store all your loops and archived material.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

What's the cheapest Mac I can get and run Logic Express.

Anything Apple is building will run Logic Express. You'll want to add more RAM and probably get an external HD sooner or later, but you'll be able to at least get started and get a feel for the software right out of the box.

I'm not a recording expert, but I was an Apple tech in past life. If you have questions about what you're buying drop me an email, I'd be glad to help where I can.

• Members

i hate to sound like a fanboy but for recording audio even on a budget there is no better than pro tools. You can pick up a mbox 2 mini for about $300 and it'll come with a whole crapload of other software and plug ins!

is there a link where i can check it out?

• Members

You've received some good advice. As fern mentioned, a lot will depend on how many tracks you intend to record simultaneously.

One problem with Digidesign is the dependence on their hardware. I love ProTools, but I won't buy another interface to run it on my G5. Right now I use Guitar Rig 2, and eventually it's likely that I will use Logic.

• Members

Then the first thing you have to look for, I would think, is a good 6 in interface, with mic pres and nice A/D.

Then make the software choice. You might have to go back and forth till you get it all to ballence.

Digidesign is nice, and all in one. But they lock you up with their software-hardware pair pretty much, and Digidesign has some stability issues. The plug ins there are amazing, and I wish for some. But I had an MBox, and there were too many bumps for me to keep it.

Cubase/Nuendo has some real push in the camp who says their Audio sounds best, and from what I've seen from some of the names who like Neuendo, there may be some basis for that. But the Mac support is spotty, and the software is complicated.

Digital Performer sounds great and is easy to use. But it's a bit of a memory hog, and some people say it's a bit limited in the plugins. I like it because it is very intuative, does what I need with out giving me a pile of extra, and to me useless options. And I use a UAD card, which give me great pulg ins.

Logic has the mad by Apple cashe going, and bundles a ton of software included. But it can be expensive, and the product has some legicy issues, from what I've heard - carried over interface, non-intuitive workspace, ect. That might be fixed now.

Whatever you do, you will need a big, fast harddrive. I went with the Western Digital Raptor Serial ATA. And a ton of RAM - I'm running 2.5 Gig RAM.

You prolly won't need that much, but start thinking bigger, I think.

• Members
Originally posted by Elliott Damage

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs.html

can someone decipher these system requirements for me? I totally suck at computers.

can I get by with a Mac mini? Here's the specs on it:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

I took a quick look at the specs and the only concern I would have with the mini is that it only comes with a 5400 rpm hard drive. The access speed of 7200 rpm on the imacs is nice. The low-end 17-inch imac has a 160 gig 7200 rpm drive.

Logic is universal and will run on the intel machines. Logic comes with lots of pulgins and other stuff and is generally regarded to sound pretty good. See the listing here.

Regarding the advantages/disadvantages of Logic, you might want to cruise down to the MacOS forum. The mod, Rimmer, is very helpful as are a number of other folks.

Since you are in college, you can purchase apple hardware and software at a discount. For example, you can buy Logic Express for $150. Check out the online Apple Education Store .

I bought an Apple for music and recording and now I find that I only use my PCs when I have to.

:) :) ;):) :)

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

Whatever you do, get at least 2GB of memory and buy a good, fast external HD to store all your loops and archived material.

+1 on the memory, at least 2 GB, no matter what software you end up with.

they're all on there

keep in mind that it is pretty much logic and pro tools that dominate the industry and there's arguments as to why each one is better.

Personally i am in the digidesign camp.

I am too, been running it for about 7 years now. Someone said earlier that PT has some stability issues, that may have been in the past, but since OSX came out, I've had little to no stability issues.

I don't know much about Logic, but it seems to me that it is used mostly in the hip-hop/dance world. Also, everyone I know that uses Logic says that it is not very intuitive, which is odd to me since it is called "logic"...

Archived