Phaser vs. Uni-vibe

BigK335

• Members

I went to GC and tried out an MXR Phase 90, both the regular and EVH version. I really only liked the slower settings on the pedal for Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix tones. Would I like a uni-vibe more than a phaser? How do they sonically compare?

All I ever hear to compare is that phasers are 4 stage and uni-vibes are 6 stage

-BigK335-

• Members

Univibes are much more appropriate for both Floyd and especially Hendrix.

They make an ethereal pulse basically.

When combined with dirt they turn into different beasts.

Izabella, Hear My Train A Comin', Machine Gun --- univibe.

Phasers woosh the signal differently. That won't do for every application.

Phasers come in 2,4,6,8, i think even 12 stages, so that means next to nothing.

The phasers most similar to univibes are actually 2 stages like the DOD201 and Phase 45 and well as the Tonefactor Nebula.

For a nice entry into a vibe check out a Lovepedal Magicboy, Sweetsound Mofaux, or Voodoo Micro Vibe.

:wave:

edit: I still love phasers. I have 3, versus one univibe.

• Members

Originally posted by loofery

For a nice entry into a vibe check out a Lovepedal Magicboy, Sweetsound Mofaux, or Voodoo Micro Vibe.

:wave:

edit: I still love phasers. I have 3, versus one univibe.

I just tried out microvibe today at guitar center and it was AMAZING!!!! I also tried out a phase 90 and it was amazing as well. I have a ton of GAS right now, and no money :(

• Members

A phaser is like putting some "wind" in your tone, while the Univibe is more like dragging it through turbulent water.

A phaser sounds one-dimensional compared to a Univibe.

Not knocking the difference, I enjoy both sounds.

I have an Ibanez phaser that I like, a lot.

I love my UV-1, however.

Just a totally unique sound, and no matter how the boutique pedals may hype themselves, they just don't have the same...umm... "vibe" as the original.

• Members

Originally posted by cooterbrown

A phaser is like putting some "wind" in your tone, while the Univibe is more like dragging it through turbulent water.

I love my UV-1. Just a totally unique sound, and no matter how the boutique pedals may hype themselves, they just don't have the same...umm... "vibe" as the original.

ever played a Provibe? That is interesting. Wish I could play a UV-1.

• Members

Originally posted by dragonattack

Hey do you remember your settings on your ph350??? I was just experimenting with that on saturday with 2 amps, i was getting a close sound with the negative feedback, what are you using???

Scott

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, Christmas and all. My knobs are at 2:00-2:00 and 11:00 and the switch is on 10. Start there and experiment. Have a Merry Christmas.

• Members

Originally posted by cooterbrown

Just a totally unique sound, and no matter how the boutique pedals may hype themselves, they just don't have the same...umm... "vibe" as the original.

Dave Fox mentionned a few months ago that he would be tackling the univibe effect to produce a standalone unit that corrects the shortcomings of many of todays clones i.e. the woofy/muddy 2-dimensionnal ' impression when the sweep is at it's peak......

Archived