Can someone tell me about these pedals/effects?

Bassified

• Members

A dynacomp is a compressor. Basically it reduces the dynamics of your playing, i.e the ability to play softly then loudly. Rather, every note you pick, no matter how hard or softly, sounds about the same volume. They also often give the impression of increasing sustain, as they boost the volume of a decaying note, trying to keep it within the dynamic range the compressor restricts your signal too. This is useful for fingerpickers so that every note picked is balanced, with no one note sounding louder than another due to poor technique or mistakes. It also makes picked single notes sound as loud as chords.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

A dynacomp is a compressor. Basically it reduces the dynamics of your playing, i.e the ability to play softly then loudly. Rather, every note you pick, no matter how hard or softly, sounds about the same volume. They also often give the impression of increasing sustain, as they boost the volume of a decaying note, trying to keep it within the dynamic range the compressor restricts your signal too. This is useful for fingerpickers so that every note picked is balanced, with no one note sounding louder than another due to poor technique or mistakes. It also makes picked single notes sound as loud as chords.

Oh okay. So basically, if you want dynamics in your playing (with a tube amp, for example), you wouldn't want this pedal on your pedalboard.

And what is 'decaying' note. I'm not really famaliar with some of the terms. Is that like the last note played?

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

Oh okay. So basically, if you want dynamics in your playing (with a tube amp, for example), you wouldn't want this pedal on your pedalboard....

not neccessarily.

a comp doesnt by default remove all dynamics. it lessens volume dynamics, or, to a certain extent it will (depending on settings).

but if one fingerpicks, than bashes powerchords, a compressor aint gonna hide the difference. it'll make sure all/much of it gets heard at same/similar volumes.

Archived