New Nine Inch Nails album on April 17, 2007

r33k

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

14.jpg

Judging by the revealed song titles and "end of the world" theme of this record, it's going to be drawing from the same kind of negative energy that older NIN material drew from. I don't expect this album to have that positive "I'm sober and finding myself" vibe that With Teeth had. Self consciousness and self doubt are enemies of creativity, and Trent seems to be suffering from neither.

• Members

How could you get the impression he doesn't booze it up from the album?

The 200 interviews he did during the With Teeth press blitz where he talked about being a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, and how that was an inspiration for the record. He claims he's been 100% drug and alcohol free since 2001.

• Members

Didn't know Welt was supposed to have Al J. in it. But the Eyes of Stanley Pain album is one of the best techno-industrial albums of all time in my book, another being FLA's Flavour of the Weak. Dwanye was everything to Skinny Puppy. He added a really twisted techno rave thing. The were almost peaking as a group before he died. But SP didn't have for their first albums, so the core is still there. Bites is my 2nd fav. after LR. (2 extremes I know :D)

It would be nice to see them with a dif. producer besides Mark Walk. It's amazing how much the producer can influence the music.

SP usually growes on me, after more listens, but this one I like a lot. But then my musical taste has expanded widely. I don't think I'd go apesh#t right off, but I would realize it's a great band and probably go see them and once I learned about their motives and song themes, I think it would still hit me. Polished. Structured. Yes. And that's what I've actually been waiting for. I was tired of SP sounding ALL over the place. Now they seem to be more focused and I really Dig That - pun intended :D

Larry can I finish, a a a Can I finish Larry - (Danna McCarthy on Ross Pero) :D

• Members

yeah, Welt was actually a project that Ogre and Al dreamed up years ago. Al even went as far as to get it tattoo'd on his arm. i guess there's only one song floating around from those days called 'Noreen' (i think it's an instrumental), which eventually became the song 'The Fall' off Ministry's Filth Pig.

it never came to be for several reasons, and Mark Walk sort of took Al's place in the project. once it finally came together, they couldn't use the name so they changed it to Ohgr and named the album Welt.

• Members

Alright NIN's a GO for this thread :thu::p Didn't mean to hi-jack.

Anyways, With Teeth is a really good album. 'Getting Smaller' is probably the best song on that album. One thing I rEAlly dislike are when Trent makes stuff like "Right Where It Belongs', except he pulled it out in the ending (makes me not completely hate it). I guess it's for the melancholy.

To nit pick even further, 'All the love in the world' is definitely a sober up song. I usually don't care for the feeling of having a hangover and this songs gives me that feeling.

Although, I didn't buy this album and was glad he did something different like this. Another Fragile album and it would be a disaster, too much of the same smash you over the head stuff. And I hope he goes somewhere different with the next offering.

I see it's #1 on the Billboard charts for 2006 though. Good job Trent :thu: (Just don't make this album again) :D:p

• Members

Full track listing for the new album-

1. Hyperpower!

2. The Beginning of the End

3. Survivalism

4. The Good Soldier

5. Vessel

6. Me, I'm Not

7. Capital G

8. My Violent Heart

9. The Warning

10. God Given

11. Meet Your Master

12. The Greater Good

13. The Great Destroyer

14. Another Version of the Truth

15. In This Twilight

16. Zero-Sum

• Members

I also predict that he will branch out into politically-themed lyrics.

Do track titles like "The Good Soldier" lead you to that conclusion? Perhaps he's just a fan of Ford Madox Ford.

I've never been a fan of TR's lyrics. Okay, I've never been a fan, but I've yet to see him break out of the egoistic "me" or carping "you" patterns.

Archived