Why do effects get made with internal controls?

unit11

• Members

Is it just to make it easier to make the chassis? I understand for mods, but it seems down right annoying for effects to be made brand-new with internal controls - What if I want to change this or that parameter between songs or something?

Or am I the only one that does that? Maybe I'm having too much fun playing with my toys.

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

to fit everything in the smallest enlosure possible....or to keep costs down and still maintain a good bit of tweakability?

and some designers--like Cusack apparently--prefer keeping controls simple for maximum user-friendliness.

• Members

I think most internal controls are of a 'set and forget' nature, that allow the user to set a parameter to their individual tastes yet control an aspect of the sound which, once set to your tastes, you're unlikely to need to change it again.

A lot of the MI Audio pedals have internal controls that were included so that the pedal could be 'tailored' to each user's amp. The Blue Boy Deluxe brought these controls to the outside after requests from touring musicians who used multiple amps, or relied on the different house amp every night, who were constantly having to open up the pedal and make changes. I think MI Audio still maintain that if you're a one amp guy you're only going to need to set up the micro-controls more than once.

Many tremolos have internal volume controls. The nature of the trem effect results in a perceived volume drop, so some users like to bump up the volume a bit so that this drop is no longer apparant. I suppose most designers reason that, with a tremolo, once you've set the volume how you like your're not going to want to constantly change it.

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I think most internal controls are of a 'set and forget' nature, that allow the user to set a parameter to their individual tastes yet control an aspect of the sound which, once set to your tastes, you're unlikely to need to change it again.

A lot of the MI Audio pedals have internal controls that were included so that the pedal could be 'tailored' to each user's amp. The Blue Boy Deluxe brought these controls to the outside after requests from touring musicians who used multiple amps, or relied on the different house amp every night, who were constantly having to open up the pedal and make changes. I think MI Audio still maintain that if you're a one amp guy you're only going to need to set up the micro-controls more than once.

Many tremolos have internal volume controls. The nature of the trem effect results in a perceived volume drop, so some users like to bump up the volume a bit so that this drop is no longer apparant. I suppose most designers reason that, with a tremolo, once you've set the volume how you like your're not going to want to constantly change it.

Such a perfect answer.... :thu: Nothing to add....

• Members

To ask a question I've had for a while (and because it's on topic in this thread): can you adjust the trimpots of a pedal to the point where it ceases to function and would require repair? I understand this to be true..if so, what is it that's happened inside? The following quote is causing a bit of confusion here:

Originally posted by amanonfire

well sometimes, especially with delays, if you mess with the trimpots too much and dont remember where they were originally you may be tweaking a while before the pedal works at all.

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by choadwarrior

To ask a question I've had for a while (and because it's on topic in this thread): can you adjust the trimpots of a pedal to the point where it ceases to function and would require repair?

No, you can't permanently damage a pedal by moving the internal trimpots, although I could see someone doing damage inside the pedal simply because those trimpots aren't as robust as the external pots are.

• Members

the things inside you can usually change are trimpots. all they are are variable resistors so i doubt u can break the pedal that way just it might not function normally and u would perceive a broken delay. that is why if you just mark or write down or draw or w/e where it is at factory, you wont have that problem. youre not doing any damage to the parts by turning the knob

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

dont his pedals take punch cards?
:D

just kidding... im gonna get my self in trouble.

speaking of internal controls.. 'sho would be nice for the Liquid Sunshine to have those trimmers mounted like the mini pots on the Tomato!

Hey, what is the overall tonality of the sunshine anyways? The clips are cool, but I was just wondering. I have a new soft spot for itty-bitty pedals with an assload of controls.

• Members

A trimmer is barely more than a fixed resistor as to cost and board space. It can even omit range limiting components that avoid "illegal" settings. It might not even do that much. So if people were to always act as if they are a bad thing, more likely most of them would be changed back to fixed resistors, not upgraded to front panel controls.

Of course if there wasn't this "practicality" thing I wouldn't build a fuzz pedal with less than 12 knobs on it ;) ... plus there's something appealing about more control from fewer knobs.

• Members

Originally posted by LoneStarGuitar

speaking of internal controls.. 'sho would be nice for the Liquid Sunshine to have those trimmers mounted like the mini pots on the Tomato!

Hey, what is the overall tonality of the sunshine anyways? The clips are cool, but I was just wondering. I have a new soft spot for itty-bitty pedals with an assload of controls.

the sunshine is a great pedal - can be a rounded overdrive or work well as a bit of a treble boost. very versatile low gainer

the trim pots are not really meant to be adjusted though as they set the bias for the pedal. there are two switches inside however, one to boost treble, the other to boost bass. i have the treble boost switch on in mine, but left the bass flat. it does help it cut through a fair bit more as a boost this way

Archived