I was offered a Digitech GSP-2101.

separanets

• Members

Hi,

I was offered a Digitech GSP-2101. The price is $370 but it has a defect. The volume knob crackles a bit when you turn it. The seller says every craftman can fix it in 10 minutes. I know here it costs $70-100 to have such things fixed. So I wonder, will it be a good bargain if buy that GSP from him for that price?

• Members

try playing with it before and check how bad or annoying is the crackle sound, since is a multi as soon as you make your own patches you'll not need to work a lot with the volume knob. Also try opening the unit since it may be a digital pot, if that the case you'll need to replace it instead of fixed.

• Members

separanets,

One thing about that 2101: don't expect seamless time changes between programs. There is a slight latency in switching in between programs. You will have to learn to time your footswitching accordingly. It was the major factor in my decision not to keep it.

I know there was a chip upgrade that increased the amount of patches/memory but I can't recall if it decreased the switching latency - I don't think it did.

• Members

M-m-m, this latency moves it into the class of only studio devices. I also hear this device is not for too lazy players to tweak. Can I find more modern things for that range of price ($400)? I don't think so, I don't know, to be correct. :confused:

I've listened to a few audio samples and the sound seemed to me VERY nice.

• Members

Originally posted by separanets

M-m-m, this latency moves it into the class of only studio devices. I also hear this device is not for too lazy players to tweak. Can I find more modern things for that range of price ($400)? I don't think so, I don't know, to be correct.
:confused:

I've listened to a few audio samples and the sound seemed to me VERY nice.

Well, the tweaking isn't too terribly difficult. A little cumbersome maybe, but not to the point of being frustrating. I've had so many of these rack processor things that I can't remember exactly how to tweak this particular unit but I remember the learning curve to be very manageable. Not nearly as bad as say, an Eventide.

I remember it having a pretty good sound but don't make the assumption that it doesn't sound digital/processed - because it does, but it's better than many others. I'd say that you're correct in it being better suited to studio vs. live use. I remember it having a lot of glassy upper end so you'll need to EQ some mids and low end into the average patch. Most of the out of the box settings sounded "wet" to me vs. dry.

Good luck with it if you get it and report back.

Jeff

• Members

Thank you guys, I must think a lot before I get it, but your all information proves to be very crusual for me. I really appreciate.

offerred it for your soul?

My soul is not $380 I think, but this sum may be good enogh to buy something else as well.

• Members

I have one, I changed the pot which is still available from digitech, then it started to crackle. Usually you leave it set at 1 volume, I set the volume a little higher in stereo than mono on my board. That price is kinda pricey, get the limited edition for 375. It has added memory for seamless time changes between programs.

http://home.arcor.de/pirat28/sites/gsp2101main.htm

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

separanets,

One thing about that 2101: don't expect seamless time changes between programs. There is a slight latency in switching in between programs. You will have to learn to time your footswitching accordingly. It was the major factor in my decision not to keep it.

I know there was a chip upgrade that increased the amount of patches/memory but I can't recall if it decreased the switching latency - I don't think it did.

The latency depends on the MIDI settings. I had the problem too, till another GSP afficionado told me how to change the settings. The latency that

• Members

Ok, it includes the native floor-board too, and depending on the weight, the delivery from Western Europe will be 1.5-2 times from the price. From the USA it will be more due to the high custom office barrier. Besides, CIS states are not included in paypal so I have to pay 10-12% commission to an agency and 3% will be taken for currecny convertion and puting the money bto on-line finance system. Actually all this can double the price from eBay.

But I've taken your comments about the price into consideration, thanks.

I'm more worried about upgrade necesserity and the oldness of the model. Although it has 24 bit converter the speed is only 20 kHz. On the other hand, there's no analog for this device in this price range. Its architecture and features are unique; an unlimited opportunity to build your own sound.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

separanets,

The PPC-210 upgrade -- it's basically a second (SDISC) DSP --

It wil "cover up" the patch switch problem (the seam is caused by the DSP having to stop while loading another alg, with the second DSP, one chip runs while the other loads) AS LONG AS, you aren't using algs that use both DSPs at the same time

• Members

Well, thank you. They seem they don't include the foor-boards, do they? If not, I think the price I was offered is ok, for both devices, altogether.

But what shocked me was the price for the cheap is as the same as the whole GSP costs, may be a littl less, but still.

Which model is better, the LE, Artist, or Studio?

• 12 years later...

Archived