Do you keep pedals that are not useful?

Craigfnh

• Members

I have a Boss OC-2 that I love the sound of but I NEVER use it in a song, just wanking around. It seems like it is just taking up space, I just keep it there because I think it is "cool". Thinking I should sell it, I could get like $50 for it on ebay and help pay for the hot water heater that just went in our new house.

What would you do?

• Members

I dunno, it kinda depends if you have another that does the same thing.

Generally, if it's something you used to use a lot, but just kinda weened yourself off it, you might wanna keep it because as soon as it's gone, you'll want it back.

On the other hand, if it's something like a Boss Metal Zone or Rocktron Rampage and you just got a Line 6 Uber Metal, I think you'd be safe selling them.

So, if you have another pedal that gives you the same effect then sure the $50 might come in handy. However, if it's your only one and you DO use it once in a while, you might regret selling it unless you absolutely have to.

• Members

Well i'm kinda saving Boss PH-3 and DS-2. The reason for not using them is simple, i found pedals that are way better quality and my preferences wise. I don't wanna sell those 2 coz they were a birthday present one from friends, the other from family (different years though).

On the other hand, there's a vintage Japan made Boss CE-3 chorus on my pedal board for ages and lately is being replaced mostly with Rotosphere. So this one is gonna be replaced soon i'm afraid.

• Members

I suspect you already know you don't need it but are wanting to be talked into keeping it.

Worst case senario, you have hot water and sometime down the track you might need to pick another 0C-2 up on Ebay for ~$50 if and when you have a clear use for it.

• Members

I keep hold of my Boss PH-3 for the comedy value, it does do a passable vintage phaser sound (with some tweaking) and the rise / fall / hold functions are pretty good for specific occasions.

But it's always going to be a dog.

I just scored a MXR EVH phaser so I guess the PH-3 will ge the boot soon.

• Members

Yes. I keep a Tonebender around though I hate it. I keep about 6 zillion Ibanez distortion pedals around because I like 'em, but I don't like 'em THAT much. I also, for some reason, always need to have at least one autofilter pedal around, though I never ever use them seriously.

Mostly, though, I just have stuff I haven't gotten around to selling yet.

• Members

When I take something off my board, I end up holding on to it for a while. If it turns out that I keep hooking it up and using it for various things, it will stay on my shelf. If not, I'll ask myself if it will be possibly worth more one day. If not, then it goes.

And in this way, I have found myself saying many a time "damn why did i sell that?"

• Members

i keep stuff i feel could be usefull in future...

like i keep hold of my crybaby, cos you know you gotta have a wah...

i keep my rat, cos i dont need it on my board but there are times when only a rat will do.

then a tubescreamer clone, cos i dont like the normal ones. but its a pretty standard pedal.

i think if i add a fuzzface to that i could cover pretty much anything.

as it is though it makes a pretty damned perfect pub gig pedalboard...

crybaby-->tubescreamer-->rat lol

:D

so yeah hang on to it if you think you will use it!

• Members

Do I keep pedals that I don't find useful? Oh, boy do I! I'll give you a couple reasons why hanging on to your pedals is fun for the whole family: 1. When I was a young punk geetar player just learning my first fistful of chords and leads, I ditched a lot of pedals that I at the time never knew would be coveted, like an original TS-808 (my first pedal ever!), a Univox Superfuzz, etc; lo and behold, 25 years later, the value of those particular pedals have skyrocketed, and I'm left holding the (empty) bag. 2. What the hey, a pedal collection is a blast, God knows that just about everyone that posts here has about 162 pedals stuffed away, it appears. Even it's a cheapo Danelectro Food pedal, it's fun to go out and grab a pedal now and then just to have, because someday you might miss your OC-2 ever so slightly and go, "Damn, why did I ever sell that thing, even thought I didn't use it?" You might find collecting pedals to be a great hobby, even addictive. Hell, I've bought two used pedals in the last month, a Tech 21 XXL and a Bad Monkey, which I bought because I thought "Y'know, Digitech might discontinue these little buggers or jack up their price, I should grab one for cheap while I still can". Of course, if you decide not to be a collector, that leaves more for the rest of us......

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Unless you really need the money then just keep it.

+1

i have at least six pedals that i just couldn't bear to get rid of (hm-2, df-2, ce-2, hf-2, ds-1, crybaby) but i will probably never use...

Archived