DIY / Boutique Builders : What kind of ventilation / mask do you use while soldering?

Devi Ever

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

1) I'm asking out of curiosity, and possibly to raise a little awareness on inhalation risks of soldering for all the DIY'ers and new boutique builders.

2) I've been building pedals non-stop for 3 years now. The first year I didn't use any ventilation (my bad), the second year I got a filter/fan, and more recently I have been occasionally using a pretty hardcore mask along with the fan/filter (mainly because of Kim's concerns about long term exposure to fumes), but the mask can make work a real bummer, so I don't always use it, though I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and wear it all the time.

The thing is, I still haven't been able to find any solid information on the risks of long term exposure to solder fumes with a fan/filter vs. also with a mask, and from what I've read, no one talks about a mask being necessary (a lot of people will talk about fumes being bad if inhaled and needing proper ventilation, but not many people talk about wearing masks... and not many people talk about situations where one is soldering 6-10 hours a day).

Also, I haven't been able to find any solid info about non-lead solder vs. lead solder and long-term inhalation risks. We keep experimenting with non-lead solder, but have yet to find a brand that works as well as the lead variety.

- - -

Anyhow. Thought this might be an interesting topic to cover, especially with all the new people getting into soldering.

- - -

BTW, this is the fan / filter we use :

... and this is the mask/filters we've been using recently... I highly recommend it for comfort, and from what I've read it's the best if you REALLY want to be super careful about fume inhalation :

devi-

Is Kim your lover?

• Members

Originally posted by SpeedBallBlues

The only ways for lead (assuming you use lead solder) to really do damage is if you eat it, or much worse is BREATHING it! It goes right into the blood like a hit of crack does and once in your tissues it doesn't really come out, causing brain damage, immune system damage and numerous other problems. Now I much prefer leaded solder but don't have a good way to not breathe it other than sitting by an open door with a fan blowing out. I don't really think that's adequate. So I'd love to hear some ideas.

The mask/filter I have linked in my pain post is certified to protect from 99% of solder-related particles (as well as a lot of other particles). I've definitely noticed a hell of a difference using it (which ultimately I guess kinda makes starting this thread silly, but I really wanted some more hard core facts).

Honestly, I wish I had been using that mask + the fan for the whole three years I've been doing this. I definitely feel like breathing is a little more strained than it used to be.

Can't wait to set up some ducts, and keep up with my new diet to get all the bad out. :')

devi-

• Members

I've been using a small air purifier on my work bench. It really helps a lot. I have bad allergies as it is and smoke on top of that. :rolleyes: So anything I can do to cut down of the fumes is a plus. I've been thinking of getting a larger unit, but the small one works just fine.

I've not been satified with the lead free solder either. It doesn't flow right and cold solder joints have been more prevelant with it. I've seen that more in the newer stuff I've been repairing for some of my special clients and myself. I've gone back to the 60/40 mix.

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

"Lead is used in the soldering process in the form of lead/silver filler metals. When heated, lead oxide fumes are formed. Excessive exposure to lead oxide fumes can result in lead poisoning."

from

... but either way, there's plenty of other nasty chemicals in there to warrant a certain amount of caution.

devi-

as far as i know, lead oxide is a solid at room temperature... I dont even think oxidized lead will melt at soldering temperatures, let alone vaporize...

• Members

Originally posted by SpeedBallBlues

How do you know this? even if only 10 or 20% of the lead went airborne it would be a real health concern to anyone who soldered often. And isn't that why they came up with no lead solder in the first place?

The reason they came up with no lead solder was a polution issue. There is still flux in no lead solder, and it's just as bad for you.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

as far as i know, lead oxide is a solid at room temperature... I dont even think oxidized lead will melt at soldering temperatures, let alone vaporize...

That might be but...

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

And yes, lead from solder can become airbone. No, it's not because it volatilizes...it's in microscopic particulate form, which is far worse. It's not as likely to do so as many other things, but trust me, it does. I've seen the exposure studies of two facilities right here in Dallas.

... either way, proper ventilation (not just a fan and filter) is key, and a mask with proper particulate filters (see my original post) definitely couldn't hurt.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I'm definitely going to err on the side of caution in regards to this subject and go with a ventilation / mask combo.

devi-

Archived