Fender Champ 600> Who wants one (lame video content)

• Members

6 inch speakers have always sounded small, same thing goes for 8's
:cry:

I've heard GOOD 6-8 inch speakers that could rival 10-12s. Granted these were old school 70's hi-fi speakers with HUGE magnets, but it can be done. I doubt that's what Fender has in there if they're going to retail for $200 though.

• Members

a 6" or 8", even a mediocre one, is fine for me & my late-nite kids-are-sleeping kitchen work; tone-crafting is not the order of that job. depending on what any other playing might require, plugging any amp/combo into a different spkr cab is always an option.

• Members
6 inch speakers have always sounded small, same thing goes for 8's
:cry:

Not so SS. Listen to this clip that was done totally with a '73 Vibro Champ with oringinal stock speaker. Tell me if this tone doesn't sound sweet. I bet if I hadn't told you it was done a VC you wouldn't have known the difference. I was surprised how big the amp sounded when it was recorded. Here's the link.
80's Tribute Rock Tune:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=633883

• Members

Not so SS. Listen to this clip that was done totally with a '73 Vibro Champ with oringinal stock speaker. Tell me if this tone doesn't sound sweet. I bet if I hadn't told you it was done a VC you wouldn't have known the difference. I was surprised how big the amp sounded when it was recorded. Here's the link.

80's Tribute Rock Tune:

I could be mistaken or have just been made a fool of due to rumors but didn't they do some of the guitar tracks for the first Van Halen album through a champ??? Even if not a good one is anything but thin and cheap sounding.

• Members

I could be mistaken or have just been made a fool of due to rumors but didn't they do some of the guitar tracks for the first Van Halen album through a champ??? Even if not a good one is anything but thin and cheap sounding.

I know eruption was

• Members

I never did really get the whole Champ love affair thing. I have a mint '66 BF Vibro Champ that's all original right down to the 2-prong plug. The amp was never played by the original owner. I take it out once a year, dust it off, make sure it still works and then it goes back into the closet.

I always find it funny because in his day Leo Fender designed these to be a small, affordable, student practice amp and now you hear talk like these are some kind of holy grail. It wasn't all that long ago before Fender amp mania set in that you could get these little amps for almost nothing. Everyone wanted the DRs, PRs, SRs, etc. I paid $250 for mine back around 2000 only because it was in museum quality condition so I was willing to pay a premium. It just looked so damn cool! However, there were literally dozens of SF VCs on eBay at the time back then, and even BFs, going for $125 - $175. I bought an old Princeton Reverb at the same time and it totally blows the VC out of the water in every category. I took the Mullards out of the VC and put them into the PR and it sounds even better now! It makes me laugh to see what my VC is worth today just a few years later. To each his own.

• Members

I never did really get the whole Champ love affair thing. I have a mint '66 BF Vibro Champ that's all original right down to the 2-prong plug. The amp was never played by the original owner. I take it out once a year, dust it off, make sure it still works and then it goes back into the closet.

I always find it funny because in his day Leo Fender designed these to be a small, affordable, student practice amp and now you hear talk like these are some kind of holy grail. It wasn't all that long ago before Fender amp mania set in that you could get these little amps for almost nothing. Everyone wanted the DRs, PRs, SRs, etc. I paid $250 for mine back around 2000 only because it was in museum quality condition so I was willing to pay a premium. It just looked so damn cool! However, there were literally dozens of SF VCs on eBay at the time back then, and even BFs, going for $125 - $175. I bought an old Princeton Reverb at the same time and it totally blows the VC out of the water in every category. I took the Mullards out of the VC and put them into the PR and it sounds even better now! It makes me laugh to see what my VC is worth today just a few years later. To each his own.

It's not about getting it, it's about having a very small PORTABLE amp that you can haul around for jams or practice, and you can use in the studio to get cool tones with. It's also not about what amp blows the other away, but what tones you can get out of each type of amp that makes the variety nice.

• Members

Honestly I haven't heard many amps that can blow away a good Princeton Reverb. But those are also 600-800 dollar amps these days. A good champ gets you a comparable, more home-use friendly sounds for less money. And if you know what you're doing you can get amazing sounds with either one in a recording studio. I imagine somebody who know's what they're doing can make one of these new champs sound great, and somebody who doesn't can make them sound like ass.

• Members

Honestly I haven't heard many amps that can blow away a good Princeton Reverb. But those are also 600-800 dollar amps these days. A good champ gets you a comparable, more home-use friendly sounds for less money. And if you know what you're doing you can get amazing sounds with either one in a recording studio. I imagine somebody who know's what they're doing can make one of these new champs sound great, and somebody who doesn't can make them sound like ass.

WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1508247

I've listened to the video a good 3 or 4 times now and I still think it sucks. Maybe with a 5751 pre and a sweeter 6V6 it could sound decent, but there are plenty of other single 6V6 combos out there that I'd rather have for my $200.

I just don't get reissuing that particular model - 6" speaker? No thanks. And 1949 cosmetics - what demographic are they trying to reach..?

Archived