what kind of music do you all listen to?

kishjor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too many genre's for me to list with too many broad variations ... I love the Traditional Tango of Piazzola - I love the Bossa Nova of Jobim and the hip Bossa of Route 66 ... I dig Jazz, Funk, RnB, Soul, Swing/Be Bop, Classical, Rockabilly, 60's Garage, World music, rock, reggae, dub, punk, kraut rock, experimental ambience, avant garde ... space rock, trip hop etc etc etc

I couldn't even begin to list individual acts ... I listen to different stuff each day. What have I been listening to lately?

Psychedelic Furs - Forever Now

The Police - Outlandos D

• Members

Jambands - String Cheese Incident, Phish, WSP, Allman Brothers, DMB, moe., Oysterhead, Yonder Mountain String Band, Keller Williams, Grateful Dead

Blues - The Black Keys, R.L. Burnside, Seven Acres, Muddy Waters, Albert King, Taj Mahal, B.B. King, Porkchop

Jazz - Medeski, Martin and Wood, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane

Bluegrass - Scruggs, The Barn Rats, Mike Marshall, Sam Bush

Reggae - Bob Marley, John Brown's Body

Rock - The Doors, Led Zep, Hendrix...

Guilty Pleasure - Morris Day and the Time

http://www.last.fm/user/phishsci/ - a full run down of my music...

• Members

Some of the music I listen to:

Rock:
Mars Volta, Strokes, Muse, Led Zeppelin, The Doors.

Jazz:
John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk.

Alternative:
Manu Chao.

Classical:
John Cage, Phillip Glass, Stockhausen, Eric Satie, Arnold Shonberg, Stravinski.

Rap/Hip-hop:
Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Q-Tip, Dr Dre, Outkast.

Avant-Garde:
John Zorn, Fred Frith, Mike Patton, Mr. Bungle

Electronica:
St. Germain, Gotan Project

guily pleasure: 50 Cent :o

• Members

Some faves:

TV on the Radio

the Knife

Sunn O)))

Primal Scream

the Faint

Bauhaus

theSTART

Nine Inch Nails

the Icarus Line

M83

Atari Teenage Riot

stuff I'm embarrased that I like:

Cold

Gwen Stefani's solo stuff (haven't heard her new album yet, but my wife got the first one, and I dug it a lot)

Black Metal (like serious Amp Forum {censored} - Emperor, My Dying Bride, Burzum, Xasthur, etc.)

• Members

I, too, like me some living (and still recently decomposing) composers (in order as determined through aleatoric processes using the I Ching...)

Igor Stravinsky
Phil Glass
Stevie Reich
Sammy Barber
Johnny Cage
Terry Riley
Krzysztof Penderecki
Gyorgy Legeti
David Lang
Ellen Taaffe-Zwilich
Nick Didkovsky
Steven Mackey

• Members
Pretty much anything with integrity...but for the past several days (approaching a week now) it's been nothing but Lost Children of Babylon. This {censored} is CRAZY.

Which album????

I used to have the one all about hieroglyphics and ancient Egypt and mathematics. :eek:

Their stuff is UNREAL.

• Members
I, too, like me some living (and still recently decomposing) composers (in order as determined through aleatoric processes using the I Ching...)

that sounds a lot more accurate as a definition :thu:

Oh i like some of those old pretentious farts such as ligeti, kurtag, riley and so on, they do pretty ok as weird smokin' music, and i also like a lot of da rock music.
i'm a big fan of nat king cole, his take on stardust makes me cry, and i also adore dean martin, but my claim to shame has gotta be "Gimme gimme gimme" by ABBA, i admit that sometimes when i'm alone in the house i play it really loud and sing/dance along to it, a very very sad me.

• Members
Which album????

I used to have the one all about hieroglyphics and ancient Egypt and mathematics.
:eek:

Their stuff is UNREAL.

I've been listening to "The Equidivium" mostly, which is all about math, and aliens, and Egyptians coming from mars...amazing rhymes. I think that's theone you're talking about...The 9/11 record too, though that one's less exciting to me.

• Members

Timeless Favorites:

U2
REM
Television
The Police
The Who

Of newer stuff, I dig:

Arcade Fire
Bloc Party
Minus the Bear
TV on the Radio
Arctic Monkeys
The Strokes
Interpol.....etc

Guilty Pleasures:

I have all of Relient K's albums...I've been a fan since I was 15, but I haven't really listened to them since a bunch of Underoath fans came over and ruined the last festival RK show I went to with a mosh pit.

• Members

The rock, indeed.

I listen to a broad array including blues, surf, funk, classic, most metal types, some jazz, rockabilly, some punk, noise, prog, ambient/post, indie, some pop, big band/swing, early emo, some rap (mostly old school)

My favorites tend to be psychotic/ noise rock/ funky metal/ progressive stuff like Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Jesus Lizard, Primus, Fugazi etc.

Other favorite bands are classics like Hendrix, Floyd, Zep, Neil Young, Beatles, Doors, Dylan, though I don't listen to them as much these days. Also old thrash/metal like Anthrax, Maiden, etc.

Newer(ish) favs are Mastodon, Radiohead, Opeth, Mars Volta, Interpol, Bjork, Sunny Day Real Estate, Built To Spill

Guilty bands? Sinatra? Nah I'm proud of that. How about Avenged Sevenfold or Snoop Dog and Eminem? Yeah I wouldn't openly admit that to most friends.

• Members
I listen mostly to either prog rock, jazz or artsy pop.

Aloha

King Crimson

Miles Davis

Calexico

Ben Folds

Aimee Mann

Zappa

Jeff Buckley

Embarrassed?

Well this morning I was listening to Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles and enjoying it, but it probably doesn't count because I generally hate that adult contemporary bastard.
:D
I must admit, I love Thin Lizzy.

Nothing wrong with loving Thin Lizzy brother.

Here's what I've been listening to:

http://www.last.fm/user/teamodave/

My guilty pleasures of late Neil Diamond and the Monkees.

Edit:I just looked at my link and I'm embarrassed that I listened to Styx - Blue Collar Man 7 times.
My excuse:My singer wants to sing it, so I had to learn it.

Archived