what kind of music do you all listen to?

kishjor

• Members

some of my favorites:

pavement
guided by voices
sonic youth
yo la tengo
ted leo and the pharmacists
the zombies
the kinks
velvet underground
the wipers
the sonics
the misfits
interpol
frank black
nick cave
built to spill
elliott smith
the beatles
the beach boys
american analog set

I'm not really ashamed of what I like, but the closest thing would be my love of tears for fears :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Favorites:

Pavement
Sonic Youth
Pixies
The Kinks
The Flaming Lips
The Fall
Dinosaur Jr.
Slint
My Bloody Valentine
Mogwai
Wu-Tang Clan
A Tribe Called Quest

And most solo projects stemming from the bands above, or other bands that sound kind of like them (Lush, Delgados, Sebadoh, Silver Jews etc.)

The only thing that I am ashamed of is how much I listen to Pavement, and how I obsessively collect information about them (as well as other bands that I like a lot), which isn't that bad, but I often make the mistake of assuming that other people care when I start telling them about fuzz pedals, line up changes, and even more useless facts when all they did was ask what was playing in my car... I have learned to stop doing this, but it hurts me a little bit at every missed opportunity to let all of this crap run out of my mouth.

• Members

RIGHT NOW it's a lot of ambient and drone. Stars of the Lid, Growing, Tim Hecker, MGR, etc. But I've been through a long list of genres... Grunge, industrial, hip hop, trip hop, death metal, post rock. Only things I really really can't stand are country and most anything you hear on the radio. It's got to be somewhat left of center to hold my attention.

Favorite band is probably Isis, with honorable mentions to NIN and Opeth. My guilty pleasure lately has been Evanescence. Amy Lee's got such a good voice, I just wish the music wasn't so generic.

• Members

I honestly like more than I dislike. I'm not big on most opera or rap, though. Lately it seems like all I'm listening to is the soundtrack to the broadway version of Fame, since I'm playing in it for a local theater production.

I've been digging out the old Foreigner and Journey stuff lately, as well.

All time favorite would be tough to name, although I own a bunch of Kansas vinyl and cds, and also I own nearly all of Bruce Cockburn's works.

• Members

Mostly rock... some indie, grunge, alt, whatever...

Kings Of Leon
Modest Mouse
Stone Temple Pilots
Sunny Day Real Estate
Pearl Jam
Black Crowes
Cream
Beatles
Marcy Playground
Blind Melon
Alannis Morrissette... (sp?)
Belly
Hum

Embarrassed? hmmm...

I like Enya...

• Members

I listen mostly to either prog rock, jazz or artsy pop.

Aloha

King Crimson

Miles Davis

Calexico

Ben Folds

Aimee Mann

Zappa

Jeff Buckley

Embarrassed?

Well this morning I was listening to Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles and enjoying it, but it probably doesn't count because I generally hate that adult contemporary bastard. :D

I must admit, I love Thin Lizzy.

• Members

Hard Rock/Metal/Stoner Rock:
Trower
Pat Travers
Frank Marino
Judas Priest
S.O.D
Anthrax
Testament
Kyuss
Corrosion of Conformity
Orange Goblin
The Atomic Bitchwax

Have to admit...I liked and still like Silly 80's New Wave
Duran Duran, Adam Ant, The Romantics...does that make me gay?:freak:

• Members

as far as rock and/or roll i tend toward the artsier side: Velvet Underground, Floyd, Krautrock, post-rock, shoegazer, spacey stuff, etc. but i also still have a soft spot in my heart for 60's stuff like the Small Faces, the Who nad garge like the Seeds. oh and i dig songwriters who have either killed themselves or sound like they might: Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, Alan Sparhawk of Low, etc.

jazz: mostly 50's and 60's "like Miles and {censored}," Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, et al but also some ECM stuff, etc.

classical: Bach, Mozart, Debussy, Part, minimalists like Reich and Glass, et al.

other: folk and early electric blues (Blind Willie McTell and Leadbelly, JL Hooker), indian classical, etc.

• Members

I like music. I check out new stuff but I tend to go back to a lot of my old stand-bys, here's some of my favorite artists:

Bowie
Stones
Sabbath
Zeppelin
Queens of the Stone Age
Paul McCartney (Ram Album)
Burt Bacharach (with Dion Warwick)
Dandy Warhols
Love
Dizzy Gillespie
Al Green
Neil Young
Television
Supergrass
Talking Heads
Cal Tejeda

oh yeah, The Beatles

• Members

Guya Dan Clowes is great! I love "like a velvet glove cast in iron"

yeah, i think that's still my favorite book of his. potato girl still creeps me out. and the ketchup drain too.

but i also really like the shorts--like people in the old folks home answering questions like "What Did George Washington's Voice Sound Like?"

• Members

I've been doing a good mix lately:

The Slip (everything from jam, acoustic/folk, jazz, to indie here)

Air (electronica by all means)

Wilco (indie with some electronic influences)

Pinback (straight up indie)

And there's always a healthy dose of classic rock. Lately i've gotten into a lot of downtempo, electronica and post-rock, though.

Archived