Looking for a keyboard bass

Dejavoodoo

• Members

A big, honkin' thank you to all who replied to my question. I really like the Micromoog idea, but I'll confess (!) that I'd probably "borrow" it for other projects besides church ... like gigs, for example.

Novation Bass Station looks good, too. Never heard one, however.

My own MS2000 is out for two reasons: 1) I schlepp enough gear there as it is, and 2) it's not velocity sensitive.

It helps that my priest is an eBay fanatic!

• Members

Use something that sounds like a bass guitar. If you are doing praise music don't go analog or even VA. I have several analog synths around, but for this I use Rolands with a Precision Bass, fretless, and acoustic bass patches called up.

I agree 100%. Analog and VA synths likely aren't the best choices for this situation.

Most romplers can do a fine job of emulating real bass guitars and the older models are cheap. The Yamaha MU series (MU50, MU80, MU100, etc.), for example, have electric basses, slap basses, acoustic basses, fretless basses, and synth basses. Ditto for the Roland JV series (heck, a little JV1010 with a keyboard controller would do the trick). Roland even makes a bass/drum expansion card (SR JV80-10) for the JV synths that has dozens of bass samples from noteworthy bassists such as Marcus Miller. I've got one in my ol' JV-1080 and it's awesome.

• Members

If you're going the rompler route... the JV-80 is a reasonably affordable, but great sounding synth. Plus you could put the drum and bass expansion card in it for more options. It looks great too IMO. Even an XP-10 might be acceptable. Late 80s and early 90s Korg have great bass patches too IMO. The Fretless patch on the Korg M1 is great. The 01/W is even better and it has a great upright bass patch too. Most romplers have decent basses so your choices are pretty vast.

This Roland XP-30 might be worth looking at... http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-XP-30-61-Key-Synthesizer-Synth-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ280084914660QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38090QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Why wouldn't you want a bass guitar player?
:confused:

"it's easier than getting some thumb-slapping dickhead in." - The KLF, "The Manual: How to have a number one the easy way"

as far as what kind of keyboard goes, the only real question is "do you want samples of a thumb-slapping dickhead or {censored}ing fabulous electronic bass?"

once that question is answered, you narrow a universe of possibilities into two universes of possibilities.

at that point you look at what you can afford and then look at what fits the budget, then narrow that down as to your physical (organic and logistic) needs go ... then arrive at a decision.

Archived