Power Supply Technical Query

paganskins

• Members

the ME50's supply is 200mA iirc, so any power supply rated at 9vdv and 200mA or more would be perfect

I use a 450mA supply with mine and it works perfectly

With pedals, the adapter gives out a set voltage, so you need to get one of the correct output for your pedal (9vdc for most compact pedals) - the adapter will put out this voltage regardless of the pedal, so if the adapter is higher than the pedal it will 'force' the extra voltage through the pedal, and most likely fry it.

Current (the bit rated in mA) is the other way round, the adapter has a 'pool' of currant available, and the pedal takes what it needs, so with a 450mA adapter, if the pedal needs 200mA, thats all it will take. The pedal will always take the current it needs though, so using a pedal that needs 450mA with a 200mA adapter means the pedal will still take 450mA, and will most likely overpower the adapter and fry it

David

• 9 months later...
  • Members

You have to make sure that the wall wart you use is "regulated" otherwise it might give 12 volts to the pedal if the current is not high enough or the wall voltage is on the high side.

how can you determine if a supply is regulated or not?

Archived