Is it dangerous to keep your pedals plugged in all the time?

• Members

My pedals stay plugged in constantly so they always have power going to them, though they're turned off. One of them has tubes in it, and it never "turns off".. it's just bypassed. Lately, I've been turning my power strip off just in case I could actually save tube life or something, but I was wondering if there are actually any dangers to leaving certain pedals plugged in all the time.

I'd assume most Boss type pedals would be fine because once they're bypassed, they're actually turned off, but true-bypassed pedals are on all the time.

What do you think?

• Members

If so I've been at risk for years now. I leave mine plugged in and hooked up to the power supply, which in turn is hooked up to the power strip (actually two of them :eek:) and have never had any problems.

I did used to blow 9v adaptors all the time when I used my Boss PSM-5, but I think I was just overdoing it with the daisy chain.

I should probably turn off the power strips during the day, that probably costs me a few bucks every month in wasted power. :cry:

• Members

I've always wondered how long the light bulb in a univibe type pedal lasts. I've never seen anyone post that the bulb went out in their vibe. So I unplug my Captain Coconut when it's not being used.

Edit: Never mind I'm dumb. I'm assuming they last quite a while. And Dave will fix it if it does go out. I had never thought of that before.

• Members

Not pedals as such, but I did leave a BOSS PSA240 adaptor plugged in overnight once, no pedals running off it mind you, but it heated right up and when I dropped it the next morning it popped. Yes, popped.

• Members

I did used to blow 9v adaptors all the time when I used my Boss PSM-5, but I think I was just overdoing it with the daisy chain.

What did you have hooked up? How many pedals? I just got an old PSM-5 that I plan on putting in my new board just to save a few bucks (instead of getting a Pedal Power of something.. I already have a DC Brick, TU-2 and Planet Waves Tune all able to daisy chain from). Anything specific I should look out for?

• Members

What did you have hooked up? How many pedals? I just got an old PSM-5 that I plan on putting in my new board just to save a few bucks (instead of getting a Pedal Power of something.. I already have a DC Brick, TU-2 and Planet Waves Tune all able to daisy chain from). Anything specific I should look out for?

At the most it was a Rotovibe, DD-6, Jeckyl & Hyde, Crybaby, AF-9, and a DS-1. I blew an official Boss adapter and a Radio Shack one. Not sure if I was just overdoing it or what, but it happened once at my old house. Since I got my DC Brick its been fine. I also had the adapter to my J-Station fry at that house so that could have been the problem.

Archived