Psychedelic bands/tracks?

PFDarkside

• Members

It seems strange to me that being a huge Floyd fan, the only band I listen to that is remotely psychedelic is in fact, the Floyd. I know Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive always top the charts for "best" and "first" psych songs, but who else should I be aware of? I know I'll get some crazy obscure references from a few of you, I'm trying to start from a broad perspective first, some that I can easily get online... then move on from there.

• Members
It seems strange to me that being a huge Floyd fan, the only band I listen to that is remotely psychedelic is in fact, the Floyd. I know Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive always top the charts for "best" and "first" psych songs, but who else should I be aware of? I know I'll get some crazy obscure references from a few of you, I'm trying to start from a broad perspective first, some that I can easily get online... then move on from there.

GONG!!!!!!!!

Camembert Electrique, Flying Teapot, You, Live Floating Anarchy(With Here and Now).

Steve Hillage.

Tim Blake.

Henry Cow.....Greasy Truckers compilation.

:wave: :wave:

• Members
C'mon TIKI, I'm very familiar with Cream, Yes and especially Hendrix.
:D

Just sayin ... we forget sometimes that many of the bands we now take for granted as standard rock classics were actually considered psych at one time or other during the 60's ... I was making a point more than anything.

Definitely check out the Soft Machine though if you haven't already. :cool:

• Members
Just sayin ... we forget sometimes that many of the bands we now take for granted as standard rock classics were actually considered psych at one time or other during the 60's ... I was making a point more than anything.

Trouble maker!

Definitely check out the Soft Machine though if you haven't already.
:cool:

Pink Fairies, Michael Moorcocks Deep Fix, The Move.........So much good stuff!

Good pastiche is The Dukes Of Stratosphere(XTC) when Virgin would not let them record.

• Members
Pink Fairies, Michael Moorcocks Deep Fix, The Move.........So much good stuff!

Good pastiche is The Dukes Of Stratosphere(XTC) when Virgin would not let them record.

I have the Dukes of the Strat collection ... about 30 songs on it I think .... soooo many incredibly clever songs on that!!! :thu::cool:

• Members

I have the Dukes of the Strat collection ... about 30 songs on it I think .... soooo many incredibly clever songs on that!!!
:thu::cool:

Shall I burn that one too?

I have it!

REALLY SHOULD READ YOUR POSTS PROPERLY.

I have lots of cool XTC if you are interested?

:wave: :wave:

• Members
Shall I burn that one too?

I have it!

REALLY SHOULD READ YOUR POSTS PROPERLY.

I have lots of cool XTC if you are interested?

:wave:
:wave:

Yup had that one for years .... definitely burn the first few XTC albume sil vous plais ... I have been contenting myself with the double album collection for many years. :thu:

• Members
Yup had that one for years .... definitely burn the first few XTC albume sil vous plais ... I have been contenting myself with the double album collection for many years.
:thu:

WILL DO SO TOMORROW!

Great guitar parts, keys and bass...{censored}! Everything really!

• Members
XTC are one of those perfect post punk bands for me ... egde, wit, melody, tight playing, musicianship, humour ... can't beat it!
:cool::thu:

Great band.

We are thread jacking aren't we?

Back to the psychedelia....

Kevin Ayers/Soft Machine.

• Members

united states of america

beacon street union

jennifer gentle

the gris gris

the plastic cloud

the mandrake memorial

group 1850

tomorrow

os mutantes

love

United States for sure (no guitarist IIRC), and my personal fave, a real psych group with balls, the Fraternity of Man....great rendidtion of Zappa's "Oh No" on album #2.

• Members

Here's a few of the band's I listen to:

Kaleidoscope UK (the LP 'Tangerine Dream' is amazing)
Kaleidoscope US
13th Floor Elevators
Chocolate Watchband
The Electric Prunes
The Soft Machine
Strawberry Alarm Clock
The Churchill's
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Jefferson Airplane
The Pretty Things
Tomorrow
The Small Faces (Ogden's Nutgone Flake)
The Kinks (Village Green Preservation Society)
Love
Grateful Dead
Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (Freak Out and We're Only In It For The Money)
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
Donovan (Sunshine Superman)
Zombies
The Doors
The Creation
The Purple Gang
The Masters Apprentices (the earlier 60's stuff, 'War or Hands of Time' is a great track)
The Seeds
The Rain Parade
Spacemen 3
Brain Jonestown Massacre
The Teardrop Explodes
Drop City
Bubble Puppy
The Sonics

....I could go on for ages, I know there's some great band's I've left out. The best way to get into the 60's psych stuff is to pick up the Nuggets collection, the Pebbles series, or the Garage '66 collection

Archived