Mac users i have some questions..

mrweems

• Members

Ok, so its starting to get closer to the point where i'm going to need to get a computer..

And well i'm really leaning towards a mac book..

I just had a few questions..

1. If i have an external hard drive that i'm using witha windows OS

a. Can i view my picture files

b. Can i listen to music that is in itunes format, but in windows

c. Can i view documents that are in Microsoft _____ programs with the Mac versions of word, excel, etc.

thanks for your help

• Members

the Mac versions of word, excel, etc.

thanks for your help

yes to ALL those questions. There is very little limitation to the mac. Even the tradional windows programs can now be ran on a mac, using "parallel" and "boot camp." In the future, windows will be able to run mac softwares, and that future is maybe 1-2 years away.

• Members

yes to ALL those questions. There is very little limitation to the mac. Even the tradional windows programs can now be ran on a mac, using "parallel" and "boot camp." In the future, windows will be able to run mac softwares, and that future is maybe 1-2 years away.

This is why I was asking which one he was getting. IF he gets an older version, nope right!?

• Members

Ok, so its starting to get closer to the point where i'm going to need to get a computer..

And well i'm really leaning towards a mac book..

I just had a few questions..

1. b. Can i listen to music that is in itunes format, but in windows

Why would you want to hear Itunes in Windows?

• Members

the Mac versions of word, excel, etc.

thanks for your help

yes, yes and yes.

picture fils are no problem. you will be able to import your windows itune library to the mac, and you'll find the switch info on the apple website.

i would suggest you hold off on buying the mac versions of the microsoft office programes. the new version of iwork will feature a beefed up word processor and a new spreadsheet programme.

i've never been a microsoft cheerleader, but I did use word solidy and mostly happily for 15 years. but last year I finally dropped it and now work with pages and write room.

• Members

Why would you want to hear Itunes in Windows?

b/c i have an ipod, and to my knowledge itunes is the only software that allows you to transer media to your ipod..

other than that i hate ituens, i think its the 2nd worst music program. I like the idea of tiering with artists.. not the entire list of music in you hard drive all out at once, it kind of lags up your computer a bit. that is if you have an older computer with alot of music.

• Members

yes, yes and yes.

picture fils are no problem. you will be able to import your windows itune library to the mac, and you'll find the switch info on the apple website.

i would suggest you hold off on buying the mac versions of the microsoft office programes. the new version of iwork will feature a beefed up word processor and a new spreadsheet programme.

i've never been a microsoft cheerleader, but I did use word solidy and mostly happily for 15 years. but last year I finally dropped it and now work with pages and write room.

thanks for the tip, i'm not in any rush at all. I'm just gonig to be needing one before august.. and i need to start planing now. and ive just barely looked at what mac offers in the programs area..

and i know that they have a new OS coming out sometime soon, right? Leopard or somthing?!?

My parents said that they would help me get a computer, and my bday is coming up.. so i may ask them to help me out by paying for some of it.. That would be nice..

• Members

yes, yes and yes.

office is still king though. Academic centers still use powerpoint for presentations and excel is still the best imo. There are no good excel alternatives. Hard to get away from microsoft. Office has always been their best hit.

• Members

Apple is the most wasteful major electronics company in terms of how much toxic waste is created when making their products.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/electronics-companies-race-061206

Something to think about.

(also, true that iTunes is the only thing that lets you put stuff on an iPod... so don't use and iPod! Problem solved)

• Members
b/c i have an ipod, and to my knowledge itunes is the only software that allows you to transer media to your ipod..

other than that i hate ituens, i think its the 2nd worst music program. I like the idea of tiering with artists.. not the entire list of music in you hard drive all out at once, it kind of lags up your computer a bit. that is if you have an older computer with alot of music.

eh? what's so bad about itunes again? :confused:

• Members

Apple is the most wasteful major electronics company in terms of how much toxic waste is created when making their products.

Something to think about.

(also, true that iTunes is the only thing that lets you put stuff on an iPod... so don't use and iPod! Problem solved)

lol, irrelevant to the topic of this thread, but i'm glad you show me that lol lol

• Members

office is still king though. Academic centers still use powerpoint for presentations and excel is still the best imo. There are no good excel alternatives. Hard to get away from microsoft. Office has always been their best hit.

it's an aweful lot easier to get away from office now than a decade ago. although some journals etc, still want submissions in .doc, the world revolves around .pdf now. presentations will be driven by what is on your computer. though in the biz world powerpoint still rules.

as for excel, well yes for the time being. but if this new apple programme saves as well in excel format as the pages saves in .doc, then that issue will die away as well.

office was a must buy with my 1998 powerbook, i upgraded with my 2003 imac, but for my 2005 powerbook, i passed. not missed.

Archived