Noise gate?

TheLunatic_MH

• Members

What's a good noise gate? tried in the guitar forum, but to no avail.

They mostly told me I don't need one and should rely on my volume knob.

I really just want it for some high gain situations where I have songs w/ sudden stops and total silence for an entire measure measure and want it to be total silence (no hum, buzz, radio interference, toilets flushing, driers running, ect...) So pedal is what i'm lookig for. What models should i look for?

:D

• Members

yup, that's also one of my problems, but I'm getting an ISP Noise Decimator anyway, noty only because I like to stack several dirt pedals and can't always switch everything off simultaneously (I suppose a loooper could solve this) but mainly hope to get rid of the 60Hz cycle hum from singlecoils

Guest Anonymous

A Noise Gate can be a very effective "musical" device in certain contexts.

For instance, I completely dig how Mantas' noise gate clamps shut at the end of certain phrases and verses in the song Leviathan from Resurrection recorded in 2000.

It's hard-to-explain but it's almost onomatopoeic in a way because the gate slamming shut hard (rather than in a subtle useage) intentionally enhances the subject matter of Cronos' lyrics.

Word painting. Like how Messaien imitated bird calls on the organ and stuff.

Noise gates ... they ain't just for 60 Hz AC hum and noisy flourescent lighting anymore.

Archived