which fender SF/BF amp?

ArrMatey

• Members
probably due to the reverb level. I take it if you don't have any reverb on, the wave of the reverb won't affect the signal.

Skipstar, cheers for the link. I get the see a bit of it all and see how it all works together and how the different ones are voiced.

I think that when I can afford it, I will turn towards a twin reverb or a head that has those propreties.

edit: The Deluxe reverb does sound nice as well.

Good luck in your Fender amp quest. Hopefully you'll be rewarded.:)

• Members

I've tried it with my Pro Reverb ('67) and what happens is because the channels are out of phase with each other, when you jump them the two channels will cancel each other out and it will actually reduce the overall volume and sound VERY thin. It's not a desirable result. I don't think it will do any damage to the amp, though. I've had a similar effect on a Les Paul copy I used to own that when you used the two pickups together, they sounded very thin...the pickups were wired in series (I think) and out of phase.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I would just like to say that I own a '66 blackface Pro Reverb and it has to be the most beautiful sound I've heard from a Fender. I went on an arduous search for a truley good sound and I can say that very few SF Fenders can stand against pre-CBS models. At first I looked all over the SF options due to affordability but in the end I just decided to be patient and go for what really counts, TONE! The extra money you spend on a BF is well worth it. The output transformers where superior and the tube rectifier makes a big difference too. Speakers, wattage and tubes are always major factors of course.

But as one guy did mention you do really have to look deeply into the amp you're buying even if that means having the seller open up the chassis, but then of corse you have to have some idea what you're looking at.

I once bought a "pre-master volume" Twin Reverb and when I took it home and opened it up I saw that it used to be a master volume circuit with a facade pre-master faceplate to cover up where the master volume knob use to be. I raised hell with the vintage shop and got a full refund. BEWARE.

Archived