George L cables - plated, unplated? Huh?

dap99

• Members

So I'm gonna upgrade my pedal cables and it seems like the George L kit is the way to go. I don't know the differences between the different options so could y'all please offer your expertise.

Also, is this kit like the Planet Waves? Just a "click" and no soldering? Or is there some soldering that needs to be done?

Thanks

• Members

George L's are solderless. I'll tell you what everyone else is going to tell you - they sound great when built properly and your rig is left alone, but are a bitch if your rig moves around a lot, or if you move or disconnect/reconnect the cables a lot.

Never tried anything else as far as "custom" cables. I'm using Hosa/Mogami nowadays.

• Members

Go for individual unplated ends as needed and enough wire to make your rig.

You only get 10' of wire with the kit, so if you screw up a few times you're gonna be short by the time you've got it right.

Use a good straight wire cutter (I use a Sears 4" razor-pliers thingy) and cut the cable at a straight right-angle. The end HAS to be round, not squished. Push it into the end 'til it bottoms out (you'll feel this), then bend it over enough to start the cap threads. Screw it down tight ALL the way, and you're good to go.

I got mine from www.pedalgeek.com.

Had the chrome ones years ago and after about a year the chrome was flaking off the plugs into the pedals.

• Members

Flying V 83 is 100% correct! Unplated. You wont have the problems people are saying about connection issues- they are the minority. Sonically, they are not my favorite but they are cheap and easy and sound good for the price.

PS I just bought the unplated kit today! My second george L purchase. I ONLY use them for short between pedal runs, otherwise I really prefer monster sp1000..... (duck for the monster haters) But only for guitar. :D

• Members

i use monsters for my long runs too, with george Ls on the board. but i got all my monster cables free, so why replace them if i have to pay for new ones? i got a 20 foot, a 12 foot, 2 3 foot, 6 straight end patches for being a good saleman of monster {censored} when i worked there. none of them have gone bad, but i NEVER use the patches anymore.

• Members

$3.99 huh?

Well, mine are over a year old & I paid $3.49 per at that time.

Considering I was running this....

PEDALBOARD121206A.jpg

it was a considerable investment. Plus about 30 ft of cable.

I've cut back to one Loooper now, so I've shaved about 10 ft and about 14 ends off my signal chain.

I also use Monster Jazz cables for guitar-board and board-amp.

• Members

$3.99 huh?

Well, mine are over a year old & I paid $3.49 per at that time.

Considering I was running this....

PEDALBOARD121206A.jpg
it was a considerable investment. Plus about 30 ft of cable.

I've cut back to one Loooper now, so I've shaved about 10 ft and about 14 ends off my signal chain.

I also use Monster Jazz cables for guitar-board and board-amp.

{censored} :eek:

• Members

I'm using plated ones (I got a good price) without any problems. Supposedly Eric Johnson can hear the difference but I guess I'm not that gifted. I agree with the others that properly made, George L's are problem-free. I transpot my board round-trip at least twice per week without problems and I change pedal occasionaly.

:thu::wave:

Archived