High Gain Pedal That Is Dead Quiet

ck3

• Members

I don't think there are any pedals with more gain than the Uber Metal.

The Zoom Driver 5000 does.

And maybe the EHX Metal Muff, but it's a long shot.

ANyway, I still own the Driver 5000. Play that LOUD through a clean channel of a tube amp and you'll chugga-chugg your own ass off (using Stack 2 setting, the most 'brewtal' of the bunch.)

• Members

It depends what kind of high gain you want though...

Muff gain: Mayo, Topfuel(which I prefer), ICBM

High ass gain METAL pedal: LANDMINE LD-1(I had this, the mids are scopped to {censored}, tones of gain, not my style), KRANK Distortion (very very amp like, Lovely distortion sound)

High gain old school style: Subdecay Black star, Crunch box(i believe from the clips)

• Members

Yeah...you would never tell there is a gate because it works perfect. Even if i set it to the highest level, i could sustain a note all day and as soon as i muted it was silent. I wish they made a stand alone noise gate that worked that good

Possibly Boss NS-2(?) noise gate. Put distortion in the loop and it is gated using the clean sound as control. I only tried it briefly but it did work.

Noise is an inherent property of electrical systems. In a state of the art device with high impedance, most of the noise is resistors dictated by physics. If you turn on such a device with nothing plugged into it, when you plug in your guitar the noise will *reduce* as some of the input resitor noise is shunted to ground by the guitar itself. So most noise differences aren't really a matter of circuit "quality" but more of the psychoacoustics of various gain-EQ structures. For example, obviously lopping off the high end will reduce noise. This can then be distorted in a way to artificially add back in high end. Vs. something that boosts the highs before distortion may have better playing response but with a noise penalty. Many fuzzes have low input impedance which reduces noise but this rolls off the highs when connected directly to the guitar which leads back to the same kind of tradeoff.

You can make your own implementation or look for a box with all of it in one.

Guest Anonymous

Ive come close to making people {censored} themselves with a Fuzz Factory..

with the gate on going into two marshall stacks pumped up.its dead quite.

• Members

The Zoom Driver 5000 does.

And maybe the EHX Metal Muff, but it's a long shot.

ANyway, I still own the Driver 5000. Play that LOUD through a clean channel of a tube amp and you'll chugga-chugg your own ass off (using Stack 2 setting, the most 'brewtal' of the bunch.)

I didn't quite like the Zoom when I had it, sounded way unnatural, but I got it for a nice price anyway, so I just flipped it anyway.

Could be because I was running it into a fender, so the mids felt a bit odd. Could be because I'm very picky about my high gain tones too so :o

• Members

It depends what kind of high gain you want though...

Muff gain: Mayo, Topfuel(which I prefer), ICBM

High ass gain METAL pedal: LANDMINE LD-1(I had this, the mids are scopped to {censored}, tones of gain, not my style), KRANK Distortion (very very amp like, Lovely distortion sound)

High gain old school style: Subdecay Black star, Crunch box(i believe from the clips)

Are most of these options relatively quiet when you are not playing?

• Members

Noise is an inherent property of electrical systems. In a state of the art device with high impedance, most of the noise is resistors dictated by physics. If you turn on such a device with nothing plugged into it, when you plug in your guitar the noise will *reduce* as some of the input resitor noise is shunted to ground by the guitar itself. So most noise differences aren't really a matter of circuit "quality" but more of the psychoacoustics of various gain-EQ structures. For example, obviously lopping off the high end will reduce noise. This can then be distorted in a way to artificially add back in high end. Vs. something that boosts the highs before distortion may have better playing response but with a noise penalty. Many fuzzes have low input impedance which reduces noise but this rolls off the highs when connected directly to the guitar which leads back to the same kind of tradeoff.

You can make your own implementation or look for a box with all of it in one.

I should probably have someone check the grounds on my guitars' pickups ... especially after noticing that a noise gate that is placed between my guitar and signal chain can reduce and/or eliminate the noise generated by certain pedals. :idea:

• Members

Why a noise gate if there is no noise?

I'm surprised to hear that this pedal is quiet ... that is why I asked about a built-in noise gate. I may have to look into a TM-01 if I don't like the 5000 Driver.

Archived