OMG! I found me a Laney Klipp...

jussi_k

• Members

Right now I'm super excited, it seems that I have finally scored a Laney Klipp 60W tube-head from early 70s, like Tony Iommi used at the time around Masters of Reality-album. I have been looking for one for a long time now, and the price is good too.

Someone had just posted in on an online forum and he promised to hold it for me...

(Pssst, if the deal happens, it means that the stuff in my sig need to go.)

• Members

Ok, I have it now, I'm happy. Really nice condition, from second owner since bought new in 1973 (as old as me...!) and recently serviced with some new caps etc. I paid 350 euros and the seller brough it to my door from another city.

Now I just need to wait until next week before I get to take it to the rehearsal space, hook it to a 4x12 cab and really crank it. Anyway, it sounded nice already played - at low volume - with my Laney LC30 combo's single 12" Celestion.

Oh, and that Music City looks lovely too.

• Members

'Cos I am still 'High On My New Amp' ™ I just need to post pic of a Klipp 100W half-stack with a matching cab (original Celestion Rolas inside) someone is selling for 900 euros here. I was looking into that earlier but it was way too expensive for me anyway.

DSCF0041.JPG

• Members

'Cos I am still 'High On My New Amp' (TM) I just need to post pic of a Klipp 100W half-stack with a matching cab (original Celestion Rolas inside) someone is selling for 900 euros here. I was looking into that earlier but it was way too expensive for me anyway.

DSCF0041.JPG

:eek: :eek: :eek::cry::thu: I wish I was in Europe right now!

• Members

'Cos I am still 'High On My New Amp' (TM) I just need to post pic of a Klipp 100W half-stack with a matching cab (original Celestion Rolas inside) someone is selling for 900 euros here. I was looking into that earlier but it was way too expensive for me anyway.

DSCF0041.JPG

That is F'n SEXY!!!!!

• Members

Oh no! I must have done something wrong. please answer me quickly on this post! the top was on 4 ohm. and then i put it into the cab on 4 ohm. is that wrong? i turned op the distorted channel to 5, and after some time, it got very thin in the sound and then there came no sound. and there came light out of the jack inputs and when i put my face right up in front of the amp i can smell something burned.

is it dead? allready? i bought it yesterday-

please help!

• Members

Oh no! I must have done something wrong. please answer me quickly on this post! the top was on 4 ohm. and then i put it into the cab on 4 ohm. is that wrong? i turned op the distorted channel to 5, and after some time, it got very thin in the sound and then there came no sound. and there came light out of the jack inputs and when i put my face right up in front of the amp i can smell something burned.

is it dead? allready? i bought it yesterday-

please help!

probably burnt out a tube, but get it looked at and dont turn it on until you do.

• Members

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Your Klipp's tolex looks super clean too. :thu:

But I can't see what was the problem if you had the ohm-selector on 4 and the cab is a 4 ohm cab? just as long as you don't turn on the amp without having a cab connected to it. So hopefully you just burned out a bad old tube, as said above.

Apparently the Klipp uses really high plate voltage, which is really hard on the power tubes and requires them to be more durable type, EHX E34Ls or maybe KT77s(?) instead of normal EL34s were recommended on Plexi Palace vintage amp forum. Go there and use the search function.

And anyhow, Sir H C probably know everything about these amps...

• Members

I've now send it to a place where they will repair it. they said it ain't broken. but i might have been a tube or something.

I am just really affraid it can't be fixed. i really hope i can. but i guess so.

By the way. i can plug a cable into both of the channels and then switch between 'em with some sort of an A/b box, right? what would you recommend for that use?

• Members

Bump

What?

Yes, any normal A/B Y-signal divider box will do nicely.

Note also, when you got your amp back and working, that the 2 channels are interconnected. Try opening up the volume (past 5 or higher) of the other channel at the same time when you are playing into the other channel and you will see what I mean.

• Members

What?

Yes, any normal A/B Y-signal divider box will do nicely.

Note also, when you got your amp back and working, that the 2 channels are interconnected. Try opening up the volume (past 5 or higher) of the other channel at the same time when you are playing into the other channel and you will see what I mean.

Okay. cool. thank you.

Yeah. i noticed that thing you there.

but can't someone tell me what had happened? i'm seriously dying to know

Archived