"Transparent" Overdrives are dumb

Elliott Damage

• Members

Let me preface this post by saying: This is my opinion only.

but....why would I want an overdrive that sounds exactly like my clean sound? I don't like my cleans with a lot of mids, I prefer alot of top sparkle and bottom. I know alot of guitarists do as well.

You know what kind of overdrive goes well with a clean sound? One with some midrange and some compression. When you take out these things you end up with lifeless, harsh tone. The heart of a guitar's distorted tone is the midrange, I just don't get why so many guitarists want to suck it out in all situations.

am I crazy? :cry:

• Members

but....why would I want an overdrive that sounds exactly like my clean sound? I don't like my cleans with a lot of mids, I prefer alot of top sparkle and bottom. I know alot of guitarists do as well.

You know what kind of overdrive goes well with a clean sound? One with some midrange and some compression. When you take out these things you end up with lifeless, harsh tone. The heart of a guitar's distorted tone is the midrange, I just don't get why so many guitarists want to suck it out in all situations.

am I crazy?
:cry:

Timmy.

:wave:

• Members

am I crazy?
:cry:

you are right, but I find my RC booster to do a good job at sounding like my amp getting more life infused into it.:)

• Members
on the list for a Tim. I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Please not i'm more frustrated with a general trend, not a specific pedal.
:)

Honestly, I don't know of many other ODs out there that qualify as 'transparent' - I didn't think the BD-2 was for instance. Certainly not when compared to the Timmy. What are the others - Silver Kiss? Red Snapper?

• Members
Honestly, I don't know of many other ODs out there that qualify as 'transparent' - I didn't think the BD-2 was for instance. Certainly not when compared to the Timmy. What are the others - Silver Kiss? Red Snapper?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=transparent+overdrive&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

they all say they are transparent. :p

i just think it's a bad selling point/buzzword. :cry:

• Members

Everything has it's place. I think Fender amps like a mid boosted TS style pedal to fill out the sound.

That said, I think the lower gain you use, the less "color" you need.

Jack

I just changed the mid resistor on the bass pot of my 67 Deluxe Reverb from the 6.8k ohm to 22k ohm just for that reason. More mids.

• Members

I think it depends almost solely on two factors:

-the amp you have
-the capacity in which you (can) use it

I love the tone of my overdriven Maz Jr. more than any other OD pedal I've owned... that being said, I can only crank it once a month or so if I get off work early enough to beat the neighbors home.

On the other hand, my Crate Vintage Club amp ONLY sounded good if I put something in front of it. No sparkle at all. The less transparent the better.

• Members

I don't want to color it at all.... start with a great steak and you don't need anything but salt and pepper... my od's are salt and pepper... not A1!

The Gainster.

I've only owned the Barber / Clark version of the Gainster and that was FAR from transparent. Big mid push, bass attenuation, and 'thickening'. Don't get me wrong, it sounded good and had a very tweedy raunch... but it wasn't like a ... Red Snapper, Timmy, RC Booster, etc.

-Ben

• Members

Thats why I hate the term to begin with - nobody can agree as to what it actually means...

I wouldn't call my CoT50 transparent - but it is certainly 'amp-like'.

Transparency doesn't just mean 'no mid hump' to me - it needs to also be very amp-like in it's response to picking and dynamics without adding anything artificial or imposing a different sonic signature to the drive sound.

• Members
1556432IMG2605.JPG

Fab50.jpg

... I can tell you why...

My amp sounds amazing..... I just need a little more of it at times...
:wave:

I don't want to color it at all.... start with a great steak and you don't need anything but salt and pepper... my od's are salt and pepper... not A1!

The Gainster.

I have a Gainster.
It is bar none, my favorite overdrive ever. And it's known for being 'tranparent'. But I find that it really adds it's own mojo and sound.

Archived